What was your single BIGGEST assumption about rabbits that was WRONG?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larryng

Reaction score
My single BIGGEST assumption that was wrong was I thought that rabbits were not very smart. ( to be honest I always thought that they were stupid).

I had owned my last rabbit, Bagel, for over three and half years and I had very low expectations of her intelligence .

Then I started a thread , here, about rabbit intelligence and I was SHOCKED.

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=71660&forum_id=1

How about you?

:) I thought you could never have your bunny on the bed like a pet cat or it would poop and wee everywhere! But our bunnies are pretty much cats with long floppy ears :) they are so smart and easily trained it really is shocking at first. :)

I knew nothing about rabbits and assumed they were 'cage animals' with little personality. I also expected them to be sweet and cuddly...Wow was I ever wrong! :pMy first rabbit was like a pit bull. She guarded my room fiercely (luckily she let me in) but man did I ever get to know all aboutrabbitude with that girl!

I also thought that rabbits were just 'cage animals' and they had no personality. I always wondered why people would want a pet rabbit because i thought they just, ate, slept and pooped.. well i was wrong! they are just like a dog or cat! aha. I also didn't know that there was a specific diet that you had to feed bunnies (pellets, veggies), i just thought they ate carrots and grass. :)

I thought that when I got a rabbit.. it wouldn't destroy everything. Not my current rabbit, but my first one.. ugh, she would break out of her cage daily by shaking the crap out of the door until the lock came off or the zipties broke. She then would chew on my dresser, the walls, the carpet, the bed, her cage flooring, cords(that were only out because she was in her cage for the night). Everything haha.
I knew they'd be smart, but not break out of cage smart.

I guess I kind of assumed when my bunny Jelly died and I got another, that I could almost make Ripley just like her. I quickly learned that was not happening and now understand better than ever that no two bunnies are exactly alike. But honestly, I'm glad for that now. I'm so happy that they're so uniquely themselves and different!

That all rabbits are unfriendly. I had only interacted with 2 other bunnies before I got mine and they were both the devil's spawn. I thought all rabbits were like that.
Then I got Max and he totally changed my view on rabbits.

I didnt know how many times they would outsmart me. It's a little humbling to be foiled by naughty bunnies on a regular basis. They are so cute I can't get mad though :)

I thought they were more of cage animals too since that's where my 1st rabbit spent its life when I was 6-7 yrs old. When I got my second rabbit at the age of 18 I still did not know better and even then my mini rex hated to be picked up. Now I see how loving and gentle they are :)

BunnyLove89 wrote:
That all rabbits are unfriendly. I had only interacted with 2 other bunnies before I got mine and they were both the devil's spawn. I thought all rabbits were like that.
Then I got Max and he totally changed my view on rabbits.
I seem to be on the complete opposite end of the spectrum from you, ahaha. The first rabbit that I had ever known, was the biggest sweetheart you'd ever meet. He loved to just cuddle up and lie with you and get pet all day. So thinking that all buns were angels, I got Flower ..... needless to say, she's not as much of an angel as Alex was. XD Sure, she loves to get pet ..... but she'll tear off your flesh if you try to pick her up, and go into her cage ..... But I still love her C::inlove::hearts:

Well I honestly thought that rabbits didn't have as much personality as cats or dogs. My sisters had rabbits that were pretty much cage bunnies and stayed in their rooms only. Now my older sister's rabbit was friendly, he'd let me pet him but that was about it. He wasn't that interested in inacting with me. My younger sister's rabbit well she was a bit of teenage bunny haha. I wonder at times what got in to me to adopt Harvey, other than for some reason he was mine (you know how that goes). But he really surprised me on how much personality rabbits have and how friendly they can be. I love the little guy. And I just love when he gets excited to see me.

I didn't think that much poop could come out of that small an animal...... they're really good at using the litter box, but still....

I've found I was wrong about a lot of things, but everyone is surprised to learn that rabbits aren't smelly. Harriet only ever uses her litter box and it's cleaned daily. Every time someone walks into the room where her cage is they comment on how they thought it'd be smelly.

One big surprise was that Harriet can get into anything. My bed is almost four feet up and she manages to get up there on her own. (My dog isn't happy about this in the slightest, she thinks she owns my bed).

Ditto to all of these!

Smart, clever, affectionate animals with theirmown unique personalities.

Mine may not qualify as an assumption but something I've been surprised to learn about rabbits this time around is how fragile their back is.

They can break their back with a kick of their own feet if not handled properly and there was also on story on RO of a bun who died from a back break after a fall from a coffee table.

It has completely freaked me out.

Ooooh Lisa I know what you mean. I knew they can be fragile, I however didn't know that sometimes they like being mountain goats. I figure Harvey likes getting on the back of my rocker just to give me heart failure. haha.

Latest posts

Back