What Veggies Shall I Buy (Goin in 15-30 mins)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What TWO veggies shall I buy for the bunnies?

• Some sort of lettuce (I know they are not allowed Iceburg but which ones are they allowed?)

• Cabbage - (Are they allowed that?)

• Brocolli - (Raw???)

• Pear

Results are only viewable after voting.

Becca

Reaction score
I'm going shopping in about 15-30 mins and am goig to buy TWO new veggies for the buns, so I can start introducing it to them slowly.

But I don't know which veggies to buy :shock:

So please take the poll to help me decide which are the best either the healthiest or just the best etc!

Thank you x

If you are limited to only 2, I'd buy a leafy green lettuce, and some kale or endive.
Not sure which of your buns you are introducing to the greens, and whether they already have had some?
I wouldn't start them off on cabage or broccoli if they are new to greens, I'd go with "easyer" ones first... lettuces, carrot, carrot tops (you can sometimes get them free if you ask), also parsley or dill.

ETA Pear of course is a fruit, not a veggie :), but should be ok in small amounts (very small to start with, as with any new food).
If you get broccoli, try them on the leaves first, if there are any. Somehow I think they are easyer on the tummy, but I could be wrong.. either way, try a very small amount of broccoli first... lots of buns seem to get tummy troubles from it (mine never did though).

Becca wrote:
I'm going shopping in about 15-30 mins and  am goig to buy TWO new veggies for the buns, so I can start introducing it to them slowly.

But I don't know which veggies to buy :shock:

So please take the poll to help me decide which are the best either the healthiest or just the best etc!

Thank you x
Definietly a lettuce, any other then the iceberg and you will be fine. And like said carrots are a good one as a small treat daily.

Whhoops, I brought Cabbage and Brocolli, they have had carrot and lettuce before and Benjamin had cabbage at his house where he was born.

Dippy and Fluffball had a bit of cabbage today, Dippy ate his straight away but Fluffball hasn't had hers yet.

I will watch for signs of gas..... what are the signs of gas? And what can I do if they do have gas???

:shock:

If they have gas they may lay somewhere hunched down 'cause their tummy hurts. Thats when you give them simethicone drops - I give 1 cc every hour for the first three hours (I check every hour to see if they still need it or if they're acting like they're still comfortable). Then I give 1 cc every 8 hours if they still need it. Sometimes - just the first or first and second dose are enough to help them get through it.

My buns are nuts for romaine lettuce, endive, and cilantro. Carrot tops are a big hit, but I noticed that it turns their pee very dark. :?

My buns get leaf lettuce, parsley, and cilantro (I believe you call it corriander in the UK) every day. I will rotate a small amount of other things. For example, today I got some brussels sprouts, so every day this week they will get their normal salad, plus each bunny will get 1/4 of a brussels sprout. (1/2 if they're small)

Then next week they will get normal salad. Then the week after that they will get something different, maybe kale. Again, they will only get a small amount of the kale.

All my bunnies like to try new veggies (Amelia is picky about fruits but not veggies), but Nick has a very sensitive tummy, and will get squishy poos if his diet is wildly different than normal. I do like for them to eat different things, though, I think it's good for them to get different nutrients and they seem to like trying different things.

I am very conservative with the cabbage-y foods, I do not want to cause gas. In the summer, they will get larger amounts of the different things. Particular summer favorites: organic dandelion greens; carrot tops; mint leaves. Occasionally I will give them small bits of peeled cucumber. I also sometimes cut a baby carrot into fourths, and give each bunny two little pieces of that. Not every day, though.

As long as you stick to the "safe list," you are probably fine as long as you always give new foods in moderation. :)

Latest posts

Back