What type of hay to use in nestbox?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyFarmBunnies

Reaction score
Normally, I just use the regular Oxbow timothy that I feed, but I have a Holland doe that keeps eating all of it. Like, ALL of it--I had no idea she could put away that much. As pressed as I am for space I really hate the idea of having to bring in another bale of something else, but I'm looking to see if you all have any ideas. Help?

I agree with Wendy. We keep horse quality coastal hay to feed and I use that to line the nestbox; however, some of them will eat it all so we keep straw on hand, too. They don't like that nearly as much! You could also use shavings too if you don't have anything else.

I just give extra timothy mix grass hay that i also give my horses. give them a big hand full to eat and then stuff the box full, they eat it then i do it again the next day. i've got a couple does that eat all the hay out of their boxes because they just dont want it there, but there is shavings in the bottom of the box as well

I use straw for bedding my rabbits cages down in cold weather, so I would definitely recommend it for a nesting box. Chance's are they will try it, but they won't eat it once they find it doesn't taste very good.

Thanks everyone! I just kept piling in more timothy hay since that's what I had on hand. I'll pick up some coastal hay next time, I think. She pulled a colossal amount of hair so it made a lovely nest. :)

Back