What to tell this breeder?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoyalLions18

Reaction score
Their is a lady who breeds, rabbits that lives about 15 mins from me. I have been breeding lionheads for a few years and she just started about 5 months ago. She is beyond annoying on my scale! I sold her, her first buck so i KNOW she is a breeder. Everytime i have a lionhead who would do nothing for a rabbitry, i place her/him for sale. The last line in every add is "PETS ONLY, NO PEDIGREE NO BREEDERS PLEASE" within 30 mins she is e mailing me! She either says that rabbit has great type! Will you sell me her with a pedigree. I say no every time. Then she starts e-mailing from the SAME account. "What colors are they? Can i see more pics? Im looking for a pet for my 4 year old niece. I'm like REALLY?? I have a friend who rescues rabbits. She had a lionhead one time. And guess who was first too try too adopt it?? lol

What can i say too her that wont piss her off? As she is local and go's too all the same shows i do.
Sorry for my venting!!

I would try explaining to her that you are selling your stock as pets only because they have faults you don't want kept in the line. Simple as that. Tactfully tell her that an experienced breeder might very well agree with you and you don't appreciate her run around.

I didn't word that quite right; I didn't mean to say that all the rabbits you sell to pet homes have faults, but that they can't add to your rabbitry in any way. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Man. I would personally tell her I can't help her but she sounds way too persistant. You could try referring her to someone else lol

Have you tried explaining to her why the rabbit is for pet only. OR you could try telling her the rabbit is already 'sold' maybe shell stop after the 5th 'sold' rabbit LOL

It's problematic that she's local, but I think I'd just stop responding to her emails, or say "not available," by which you mean, not available to her. At least don't respond for a week after each email.

They are your bunnies and can sell to whoever you like. Why get upset about someone else? Maybe an e-mail explaining why you view yours as pet quality will suffice and every time she e-mails you, paste the reply. Or refer her to someone else.

Or as someone suggested, have them spayed or neutered first than sell them. You will then know they will go to no breeders.

K:)

bunnychild wrote:
tattoo PET in the right ear that will keep it from being shown and she might stop buying yours
Not really. They could still tattoo something in the left ear and show it. I don't believe that it matters if there is anything in the right ear when showing, but it could become an issue if they wanted to register the rabbit. But they would need a full pedigree to do that.

To Royal Lions: Do you have a sales policy or a website? You should put something on there that says you can refuse a sale for any reason. This can at least give you something to refer to. You can be strait with her and say you will not sell her any rabbit as you do not think that she is getting them for the right reason or whatever you want to say. It can get her off your back. Trying to explain why a rabbit is pet quality could help, but it sounds like she doesn't care about that and would say just about anything to get one.
With ads you post, you might not want to do a specific rabbit. You could say that you are a breeder and have some pet lionheads for sale or even just that you have some rabbits for sale. I know some breeders just post ads with their rabbitry info and not have specific rabbits in them, all sale info is then on the website.
I think that you need to tell her off so that she will stop trying to contact you, but not is a way that is rude. Since she is local, things can travel fast and you could get a bad reputation quickly from one snarky comment to someone who will take offence.

Latest posts

Back