what to look for when choosing a bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tristaw.

Reaction score
I'm not asking about looks, etc. I need to know in terms of picking one of the three Flemish Babies, how to find the right fit for us. Should I let one come to me and just watch and see what happens? Any advice on choosing the right one? What should I be looking for that will give me glimpses into the personalities..

We have always noticed two things that influence selection. First is preconception--you already know what you want. The second factor which is even more influential is that a kit that comes to you and starts grooming you will win your heart much faster than one the tries to run and hide or is anti-social.

healthwise u wanna make sure it doesnt have a wet nose ..or seem lethargic..personality?? its tough to say pick the one that is more outgoing and comes to you..cuz i have some buns that are standoffish at first and once they realized this was their home they blossomed into amazing bunnies...everybody picks the social bunny but no guarantees when u get home that same bun might not like to be cuddled..first impressions are false with bunnies...good luck and go with ur heart...or just get all of em..hehe

First you want a healthy rabbit. Check them all over for runny noses, weepy eyes, signs of mites, dull coat, tooth problems and other issues. If more than one of the rabbits seems to have issues, then you might want to reconsider that litter or source as the rabbits will probably need vet treatment which can be costly.

As far as personality, you should have an idea of what you want. If you can, sit in an enclosed space with the rabbits. If they are form the same litter, then have them all together. See how they react the each other, you and a new environment. You can pick the first one the comes up to you and lets you pet/handle them or maybe the one that takes a bit longer to warm up but seems to be more friendly once it gets to know you. You can also just go for that one that you like. If you want a specific sex, then try to only have those ones in the pen. You know what you are looking for, so go with how you feel about it. Sometimes you just have in immediate connection with a rabbit.

You can try making some noises and doing some quick movements to see how they react and how they recover if they are startled. Move your hand around in front of their face to see if they will follow it or are interested or shy away. Also try petting them to see if they like it, want more or want nothing to do with it.

Keep in mind that you are getting a young rabbit. The personalty can change as they get older. There is no guarantee that a friendly rabbit will stay that way as it gets older. Shy rabbits can blossom and become great pets. I would go for a rabbit that you have a connection, without a good connection a relationship can be harder to form.

Thank you everyone. Lots to consider and I really appreciate it. I wish I had known what to look for with Tahli. I posted pictures in a new thread of the rabbits I will be looking at tomorrow. The breeder sent them to me by request because I wanted you all to have a peek. He said the two grey ones are a bit timid but he said with attention and love that would change. I am worried though because those boys look bonded and the depression would be big wouldn't it..

Latest posts

Back