What to expect after neutering??(worried)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cadburys_mom

Reaction score
Well tomorrow is the big day..Cadbury getsneutered he has to be there by 8:30am...the vet told me that I have tobring his own food and water bottle..how long does the procedureusually take after its done??..will he be out of it when I come to gethim??..should I have something special for him to lay on or will thebedding be okay??..will he be in a whole lot of pain?..is there anymedication that he should take??..Im getting a lil worried now becauseI want him to be okay..how long should I keep him in his cage??..I knowI cant let him out because I dont want him to hurt himself when hehops..Im just a lil paranoid right now..it even crossed my mind tocancel the procedure because I dont want him in pain..any information uhave would be helpful..Thanks

Cadburys_mom wrote:
Well tomorrow is the big day..Cadbury gets neutered...anyinformation u have would be helpful..Thanks

Very common procedure. Farmers used to do it on the kitchentable in days of old. The per cent of rabbits lost toneutering procedures is something less than 1%.

Usually will come home same day procedure is performed. Hewill be lethargic from the anesthesia and may experience somepain. Some vets send pain killers home with thebun. Some people have been know to administer baby aspirinfor the same purpose, but I do not know the amount I am afraid.

One post operative problem we experienced with one of ourbuns was some internal hemorrhaging and consequent swelling of thetesticle sacks. Vet inspected, said it should begin to reducein size soon, and within 24 hours it had.

Offer him any treats he may like in order to keep him eating andpooping. He may be off his feed for a couple of day as the anesthesiaworks its way out of its system. Make sure he has wateravailable. You are looking to see his eating, drinking,pooping and peeing to return to normal.

It may be a week, or as much as two weeks before he does resemble hisold self. It is hard to predict because each bun is anindividual. Even at that point, he may continue to exhibitsome of his old sexually induced behaviors for several weeks as thosehormones gradually dissapatefrom his body.

Try to relax. Most of us have been through it. Besure to comfort him with your voice in the beginning and later withpetting and voice as he begins to come out of theanesthesia.Buns know and appreciate when you aretaking care of them.

Our prayers will go out for both you and Cadbury.

Buck

I've only had my little girl spayed, which is abigger deal than neutering. Apparently they usuallyhavepain meds available, but I didn't get any for Pipp, andshe was definitely in pain the day afterI brought herhome. It was a weekend, so I couldn't do anything about it.

They had told me if she didn't start eating by the next day, itprobably meant she was in pain and to give them a call.Ihadmy hand on the phone when shefinallystarted eating. 20/20 hindsight, Iwould have specifically asked for some before I got her home even as a'just in case'. (Not sure what they use).

Other than that, all went smoothly and safely. I wasn't sureif I wanted to put her through it, but the 'longer life' part soldme. And the safety record of the operation. Myvethad only lost one old rabbit in three years of operatingon "zillions."

I had to keep Pipp in her cage for 24 hours, and with restrictedactivity for seven days. (Ha!).She was awake butquiet, andonlyfor the first day,a lot ofit was because of the pain.

I think I just had a clean towel for her to lie on, seems to me theydidn't want hay or litter in the wound. (She had dissolvingstitches, I didn't have to take her back to get them out).

Good luck!

SAS

boy she had a really good experience..i'll askthe vet will she give me some medication for him..when i pick him up iknow he wont be completely out of it but he doesnt like to be picked upso when i have to pick him up to put him in his cage he wont fight mewill he..I dont want him to hurt himself..ive had him one week todayand he has really came around and seems happier i know sometimes theysay after the surgery they get depressed..I surely dont want that..andwill he want to chew should I still keep his toys close..Im scared:X

oh boy!! this is gretinformation...cos i'm getting the male neutered around next week too& just don know wat to expect after tat. well the female justgiven birth last week though... so i know it is high time to spay& neuter them. Its for their own good. good luck toCadbury's mom!!

Good luck Cadbury, hope everything goes well for yah.

I ask this all the time, and I never get it, can anyone please explainto me, the differences between a Neuter, Spaying, and so forth, thanks!

Just had my baby neutered lastTuesday. Just check the area for cleanliness and no bleedingor swelling/redness. Keep them low for a couple days...nojumping. He'll be tired the first day, but makesure he eats (he most likely will)...get him to eat anything helikes! Keep things extra clean and he'll be fine in a coupleof days. My boy was back to normal by day 3. Goodluck

-Vanessa

Any news? Did the vet say when he would be done? Are they going to call you when he's done?

Just want you to know we're thinking of and Cadbury.

Tina and Apollo

I had my guy done last month....The vet told menot to give him food the night before and no water in themorning. I did give him a slight nibble of cracker before hewent because I read it is worse for them to have an emptystomach. I also read that males jump back to themselves morequickly than females. He did! He came home and ate a lil Igave him and was drowsy and I kept checking on him. I didn'tlet him jump out of his cage for about 2 days. He has notsprayed since than either so thats makes me happpy!

Snickers didn't seem to be in a lot of painmostly tired. He also loves towels so I washed fresh towelsfor him to lay on and bunch up for him to be comfortable.

I had Napoleon neutered a couple of weeksago. My vet kept him overnight and sent him home the next daywith pain meds.

Don't forget to replace the litter you're using withnewspaper. You can shred it if you like, but I just folded itand put it in the litter box. He liked it that way and it waseasier to clean up.Litter can irritate the incisionor get in there and cause infection.

Laura

I dropped Sickers off at about 8:30 and he wasdone about 3 for me to pick him up by. I decided to bring himhome where it would be quiet and comfortable for him and for me towatch over him. His recovery went really well. Ididn't give him much food the first day or water so it wouldn't bepainful for him to pass his waste so much. He wanted morefood (looking at me with his big brown eyes like I starvehim). He just wanted to be left alone the first day to restand eat. Within a couple days he wanted to jump everywherebut I set limits for about a week. I also checked him forabout 2 weeks to see if any bleeding or bothering of thearea. It went pretty well and he is doing well.

I'm so glad to see this thread since my threeboys are getting snipped this Friday. I hope it goes as wellfor all of them too!

Peg

I know it can be stressful bringing our babiesin. Both of my boys came through with flying colors. They wanted to hopand run around like normal, but I kept them in their cages for a full24 hours after I brought them home - just to be on the safe side.

I gave them treats and such to make up for it. :)

we had jack done a week before christmas and hadno idea what to expect. we took out all the hay in jackshutch and replaced it with new towels so that it would be soft on him.

We took jack in a cat carrier box so when he got home he just hopped out and into his hutch to be left alone.

Vets ask u to take your rabbits food in with u so that they can getthem eating straight after the op as it is important to keep therabbits bowls moving.

If your rabbit isn't eating pellets offer him his favorite treats justto get him eating asap if in 24hrs u dont notice any droppings the Iwould take him straight back to the vet..it may be sooner than 24hrs imnot too sure.

The vet may not give your male rabbit any painkillers to take home costhe op is easier on male rabbits than female although they are givenpainkillers during the op.

If you have any more queries i would ask your vet but your bun should be okay.

We got jack home at 5:00pm one day and let him out at about 7:00pm thefollowing day as he seemed to really want to come out. hehopped out his hutch and seemed a bit sore but other than that seemedfine. times vary as to when u can let ur bun out.

Hope this helps, i know its a scary time but he should be fine.

How's Cadbury doing???????

I'm sure he'll be fine, I just went through it with my two Monkeys!Buster and Tucker. They were hoping around, eating, and drinkingnormally, right after.

We went for our 10 post op check up today and they are both fullyhealed and ready to reak havock in the house once again! LMBO!:D

Please let us know how Cadbury is doing...

Monkeys!:)

Latest posts

Back