What to do?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spot

Reaction score
Please help!I am in ohio and there are a bunch of storms comimg through.Earlier this morning I woke up to the sound of tornado sirens.The wind was blowing really hard and i couldn't see if there was a tornado or not!The storm passed over,the sirens were turned off,and no damage was done.I was not prepared for this and I got lucky.My question is:What do I do with my rabbit?Her and my dog DO NOT get along but they would both have to go to the same place.Do I let one of them loose or something?I really need to know because there is another storm system that is coming up from southern ohio and it looks like it might hit where I live!

Hi there! I hate tornadoes and storms, always have. What you need to do is put your bunny in a hard sided carrier and take him with you wherever you're going! Where do you go when you have tornado warnings? And by "let one of them loose" do you mean let them loose outside? Because that would surely be a bad idea. A hard sided carrier for the bunny would keep him relatively safe from the storm and safe from your dog.

If you don't have a carrier and can't get one before another storm comes (though I suggest you do buy a carrier when you can), you could just use a storage container as a bunny carrier. Poke some big holes in the lid for ventilation, put Spot in if you have to go to your storm retreat area, and put the lid on. Even a cardboard box would be better than letting Spot loose or holding Spot in your arms and the dog possibly hurting him.

Good luck and keep us updated!

SnowyShiloh wrote:
Hi there! I hate tornadoes and storms, always have. What you need to do is put your bunny in a hard sided carrier and take him with you wherever you're going! Where do you go when you have tornado warnings? And by "let one of them loose" do you mean let them loose outside? Because that would surely be a bad idea. A hard sided carrier for the bunny would keep him relatively safe from the storm and safe from your dog.

If you don't have a carrier and can't get one before another storm comes (though I suggest you do buy a carrier when you can), you could just use a storage container as a bunny carrier. Poke some big holes in the lid for ventilation, put Spot in if you have to go to your storm retreat area, and put the lid on. Even a cardboard box would be better than letting Spot loose or holding Spot in your arms and the dog possibly hurting him.

Good luck and keep us updated!
Thanks!I hate them too.I usually go to the crawl space under my house or the middle of my house(end of the hall way)It's usually which ever one i'm closer too.I have a plastic pet carrier but my cousin is using it for their dachsund.I meant loose in the yard.I would never do that but it would be pretty easy to find my rabbit because I can set him in a spot and come back 30 min. later and he would still be there.Natural instincts would probably kick in with a tornado though.I don't think mine kicked in this morning when I awoke to the sound.I don't know what I was thinking but I ran out to my patio room and there was some rotation of the clouds a couple hundred yards from my house.I was about to run out to get rabbit and my dog but then the storm moved away and the sirens went off.I guess I was just trying to make sure my pets would be safe.After I started the topic this morning the sirens went off again and I was gathering my dog up and was about to go get rabbit(even though it would not be a pretty sight because of my dog)and then the sirens turned off again!

You should have supplies if you need to evacuate, for the dog, rabbit and yourself.
For the rabbit, have a hard sided carrier with a blanket and food/water containers. Also have food, hay, and water to last a few days. A pen, pet tent or something similar is good to let her out of the carrier but still be safe. If she is litter trained, have a small box and some litter as well as a few cleaning supplies like a garbage bag and litter scoop. Keep medical records and other important papers in a known spot so you can grab them quickly. A small first aid kit can also be useful.
For the dog, you basically want the same stuff. Food, water, bowls, collar and leash and important documents. A crate or kennel is also goo to keep him safe and contained. An updated picture of you and the dog is helpful to prove ownership. ID on the collar is a must and a microchip is helpful.
For you, bring some basic food and water. Some dishes might also be useful. Also have some blankets, a radio, flashlight and other supplies.

I am not sure what the procedure for a tornado is. If you just have to go into your basement, then have stuff down there for the pets as well as some emergency supplies. If you need to evacuate, have the supplies ready so you just need to load the animals and get everything in the car.

It is a good idea to train you dog to at least be able to be around the rabbit. They don't have to get along and you don't have to let them out together, but the dog should be able to not harass the rabbit. Even in a best case seniaro, they would still have to be in a small area together. It might be a room in your house, the car or a hotel room. In these areas, it is hard to separate them all the time. If it did end up being more than a few hours, you could let one out to run around while the other is in a carrier or another room.

Thanks!I'm gonna gather that stuff up and be ready to go next time.With tornadoes sometimes you don't have that long.The news said the storm system was moving 50 mph and if the tornado would have touched the ground and was going that fast I might not have enough time:(

Ty, I live in Ohio too and that storm was scary. All my animals came down the basement with me. Well, except for one cat who tried to bite my when I tried to get her out from under the bed. But my rabbits and my other cat where all in the basement. I have a bathroom in the basement and the rabbits cages are in the basement so if the animals didn't get along I would put one in the bathroom, one in the rabbit cage, or I even have a closet I could stick one in for the hour it lasted.

One thing I realized with that storm is I have know way to keep the rabbits cool. I lost power and it was getting really warm in the house. I am going to get some water bottles to freeze incase it happens again. They will stay frozen for a long time.

I hate Ohio this time of year. You never know what the weather is going to be like.

I'm glad somebody else knows what it was like:)I hate Ohio in this time of the year too.I couldn't believe how fast the weather changed.One moment everything was calm and then a minute or two later the wind was blowing very hard and tornado sirens were going off.Weather is a really dangerous thing:(Luckily,my power didn't go out and it is usually cool in the crawl space.I hope all of this dangerous weather is over with!

I'm glad everyone is okay! I've lived in Texas and Wisconsin and there were lots of tornadoes there. I was terrified of them. I remember there was one once when I was 10 years old and home alone, cowering in the basement in the dark (power went out), crying hysterically, holding my bunny!

Wow.That's very helpful.Thanks!:biggrin2:

I didn't get the worst of the storms and I'm glad.The night before a twister struck a small town in northern Ohio and killed 5 people:(I hope that little town will be ok:pray:

I wouldn't ever let your rabbit loose in the yard when there was a tornado/storm coming through. That's just asking for danger. ;) If a tornado did hit, he could get swept up and you'd never see him again. And yes, his natural instincts would tell him to run/hide, and he wouldbe extremely scared. Plus, why would you want to do something like that to your pet? :shock:

Everyone's advice has been good. Keep supplies handy for storms/tornado warnings...

Emily

Ty, I have a friend that lives in that town that had the tornado. She said the tops of all the trees were twisted. Her neighbors roof was completely torn off. Get ready because we are suppose to have another storm Wed that could get bad.

After reading this thread, I probably should do more then I do when we have tornado warnings. I usually get everyone in the basement and then we just do our normal stuff. And really if a tornado was coming I would want us all to be in the bathroom in the basement as it is on the inside of the house with no exterior walls. we just get so many watches and warnings and a tornado never comes, that I have kind of become immune to the warnings. I guess I should step it up and get my emergency stuff together and bring the carriers in the house. At least for tornado season.

This is a great thread, and I suggest moving it to the Rabbits Online Forum for more members to see. I've always felt prepared, but now I know that there's more I could be doing!

As far as letting animals go loosewhile there's bad weather, I've always been under the impression that it's best to do that with large farm animals (and they should have proper ID on them). I've had to do this with horses before.

:)Kathy

Latest posts

Back