What to do now? Please help.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rylanmoore678

Reaction score
Hello there.

I have recently discovered that a good friend of mine‘s little sister owns a rabbit. She is keeping this rabbit in a very small cage, so small that the rabbit barely even has room to lie down. This cage is completely made of wire (this includes a wire bottom). The cage smells very bad, as she rarely cleans it. The rabbit‘s nails and teeth are completely overgrown. She feeds him a small animal seed mix, which looks like it’s meant for hamsters. She never takes him out of his cage, and he is not very friendly at all.

I don’t know what to do. I know that my friend does not like the rabbit, but her little sister adores him. I would be 100% willing to take the rabbit off of her hands and give him a good life, but I don’t know what she will say. I don’t want to hurt my friends feeling if I tell her that she’s abusing her animal.

What do I do? I’m at a loss right now.

Maybe just don't tell her how bad she is just tell her that you fell in love with that rabbit and maybe she'd let you have him? Maybe temporary? I don't know, be creative!

Be straight up. Tell her how the rabbit is being treated and show her videos on how to take care of it properly. If she is not willing or says that she doesn’t like him anyway say that you can take care of him. It’s important to be truthful about things like this

Welcome to the forum. Sorry it’s on this circumstance.

I’d to help her. I’m in a similar situation with one of my neighbours who are keeping their rabbit in a small hutch without any substrate or much hay to keep them warm. They are also feeding him unlimited pellets.

If the girl is so in love with her rabbit, she would help him. And if she doesn’t think her parents would let her, there are other ways. I found an xpen on guntree for £10. I buy hay in bulk which costs £33 every two months but that’s just because I have a rabbit with allergies to hay from my local pet shop.
If you do help her, tell her to ditch the cage, because that’s not working. If you could, maybe you could show her a few things. Like the right type of pellets to feed, and the right amount of space for the rabbit and how clean it should be.

I get that not everyone can free-roam their rabbits but there are many other options.
And if she or her parents aren’t willing to help him, call your local authorities or animal welfare society, because feeding an animal an unsuitable diet, keeping them in unsuitable enclosures and in unsanitary conditions, I’m pretty sure breaks a few animal welfare laws. At least it does in England.

I think it’s fair to give everyone a chance. And I have a feeling that if you take the rabbit off her, she’ll get another one and keep it in the same way.

Good luck!

I actually also have a friend whos rabbit is living in this sort of situation, besides the fact that they clean the cage and the rabbit is super friendly. I want to talk to them about the rabbit's situation, but I don't think they will change anything because they think I am too young and inexperienced. What I am going to do is offer to pet sit the rabbit while they go on vacation. While they are gone I will litter train the rabbit, clip his nails, take him to the vet, get him on a proper diet. If I have permission from them I will rabbit-proof a room in their house or set up a playpen. I suggest trying something like that for this rabbit.

Latest posts

Back