What to do next?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlopsnWills

Reaction score
I apologize for this long post ahead of timebecause I know it's going to be lengthy. I'm not sure how many peoplealready know about my mini rex, charliebeing sick. He hasconfused me and stumped 3 different vets since the day I brought himhome. I got him from 2 teenagers giving him away for free in acardboard box and I quicklyneeded to save him, I just knew Ihad to. He's a GORGEOUS mini rex, one of the prettiest I've ever seenand they said he was about 2 years old. I've now had him since March,so that makes it 9 months, which is longer than I originally thought Iwould have him, due to his sickness. Within minutes of being at myhouse, he was sneezing, it was before I knew I should quarantine anynew rabbits that came into my house, because I already had William. Ikilled myself for weeks thinking I brought pasturella to my house andgave it to William and I now had 2 sick buns. He went to the first vet,who said she didn't bother doing pasturella tests because they werenever accurate and she tried him on baytril first, and then terramycin,neither of themdid anything. i then brought him to adifferent vet, who said as long as his sneezing doesn't get worse, toignore it (obviously, he doesn't see many rabbits) i thendecided to bring him to a different vet, who was known to do well withrabbits, and by this time his right eye was completely puss filled andhe could not even open it and he also had a minor head tilt. she saidshe wanted to do a pasturella test, AND a culture/sensitivity, so i hadthem all done. the pasturella test came back negative, and i was bothsurprised and relieved. the culture/sensitivity she had done said thebacteria that was causing the infections was kluyvera (which pam toldme was not very rare) and that baytril and another antibiotic that iforgot the name of, (it began with g)would help. so much forthe baytril because even after another month on it, he showed noimprovement. the G antibiotic however fixed his eye over some time (wethought he was going to lose all vision in that eye) oh and he also had3 injections of penicillin, which saved his life, there was one nightwhen he started his minor head tilt and his eye could not open, and iwas getting ready to say goodbye to him, but the 3rd shot of penicillinquickly turned him around.

so now, 6 months later (and $500 less in my bank account)ihave a fairly healthy rabbit, he shows no signs of being sick exceptfor sneeze attacks. he hardly ever has discharge coming out of his noseand when he does, its either clear or white. when he has his sneezeattacks though, they sound SO painful and i feel so horrible for him. iknow that if i let anyone else take him home in that cardboard box, hewould've been dead a long time ago, but im just so confused. hes beenon a total of 6 or 7 antibiotics and my vet tells me not to worry toomuchandthat she thinks he'll livea normallife with sneezing, and she does know a ton about rabbits, so i try tobelieve her. what do you guys think i should do? have i done all thereis to do? do you think he'll live a normal life? it breaks my heartwhen i see him sneeze 6, 7, 8 painful sneezes in a row, but besides forthat, he's a food-aholic, love-aholic, who my mother has become soattached to, if he went i think i would have to put her in the looneybin. im so sorry this is so long, i just need feedback.

*edit*- he also sheds ungodly amounts of fur, year around. i've now hadhim for months and he has not stopped shedding, what is this about?? ifi pet him for 5 minutes, his fur will be flying around my room like noother. im not too worried about stasis with him since he eats all thehay i can feed him, he's eating us out of our house!

i dont think its allergies since he almost wentblind in his right eye. i only use yesterdays news or pine pellets (hehas guardian horse bedding right now in his litterbox.) thanks for yourinput though andthank you for that link.

Have you seen this article before? http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/sneezing.html

[sup]You can help clear your bunny's nose temporarily bygently suctioning with a pediatric ear syringe. Ask your vet aboutusing a mild, pediatric antihistamine such as Benadryl to help shrinkswollen nasal membranes. Together with a tear duct flush, which alsohelps flush the nasal passages, these treatments can be very effectiveat clearing the bunny's breathing route.

[/sup]
[sup]This is another good article.It suggests different medicines (did you use gentamycin, perhaps?),antihistimines, corticosteroids, nasal flushes, and nebulization-inhaled medicine treatment that delivers the meds further back in thelungs.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Respiratory/Bacterial/URI.pdf

Did your vet check Charlie's teeth? Did he do anx-ray? Some nose and eye problems are caused by overgrowntooth roots. It might be worth investigating.

It sounds like he's pretty stable and happy. You're taking really good care of him, and he's such a beaut!
[/sup]

wow thank you so much for all that wonderfulinformation! if i did use children'sbenadryl on him, how muchand how often should i give it to him? like is it something to do forthe rest of his life, or just once or twice? i know the last time hewas under (during the nasal swab for his culture) she trimmed his teethand also did a nasal flush, im really not sure if she did an eye flushand i dont think she did an x-ray.

and yes, gentamycin is what saved his eye, thanks for reminding me ofit's name. i really hope he stays the same and doesn't have anotherflare up as i really thought we were going to lose him. we're in theprocess of selling our house right now and i just pray that the movewon't stress him out enough to cause another outbreak. he's only 3 (ifthey were right about his age) and i hope to have him for at LEASTanother 5 years!

Do you happen to use a carpet freshener on your carpets... when I use it pez sneezes for 3 days later?

Susan

thanks, he was overweight when i first broughthim home.. we weighed 5.5 pounds, i started giving him 1/8 cup ofpellets a day, after 1/4 cup a day didnt do anything and he shed apound.. now he's back on 1/4 cup a day since im afraid he's not gettingall his nutrients.

anyone else have any input? should i just enjoy him while he's here and try not to worry?

To me (just off the top) it doesn't seem likesneezing is normal.However he doesn't sound like he is acutely ill, somaybe you could wait to get some more info off this site or maybe talkto the House Rabbit Society or even another vet. It sounds like youhave done a wonderful job taking care of him and saving his life!

I don't think you have too much to worry aboutsince he's been sneezing for 9 months? Maybe he has allergies to theydust in the hay? I read that it could be caused from mould or polond?

Here's a website I've found, but I don't think the information isaccurate... from what I know, pasturella is deadly... You can't believeeverything you read so i'm not sure.

http://www.practical-pet-care.com/other_question.php?ID=2.2066285264

Here's a link that may be usefull

http://www.barbibrownsbunnies.com/sneezing.htm

Where is the rabbit kept?

thanks to the both of you.. i appreciate all thefeedback i can get. im pretty sure its not allergies since he almostlost his right eye and i know for a fact their hay isnt moldy. i orderit online from oxbow and its always fresh and green with hardly anydust. you think he could still have pasturella even though his test wasnegative? he is kept in my bedroom with my other rabbit, william.

Somehow I don't think so. Sometimes on a similarlooking thing like the first link I gave you, it said that someonesrabbit loved chocolate.. :?

Do you use any perfumes, strong smelling anti-persperant or anything of that type? Does he wheez? I really don't know.

no, i dont wear perfume.. and he does wheeze when he's sleeping sometimes. anyone else have anything to add?

Latest posts

Back