What to do after neutering?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eskaisbell

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
My sweet Thumper was neutered on Thursday. He has seemed more reserved since then, doesn't come up to me, isn't as eager for his pellets or salad - though he does still eat them if I'll leave him be.
I'm guessing it just takes some time for them to adjust? He's done with pain meds now and I believe he's healing up nicely, his incision looks good and he's been pooping normally.
What I'm confused about is what do I do now?
I wanted to potty train him now that he's fixed, I know you have to give it some time after neutering, but I also read that you should limit their area until they start getting the hang of going potty in the right spot.
So am I not allowed to give him exercise/ explore time out of his pen now?
It's a hard situation too because I do let the babies explore in the house a few hours everyday and I don't know how he'll handle their scent now that he's fixed 🤔
Also, I'm wondering if his set up is too large for potty training? His space is about 4x10 feet, I'm still working on the set up, I wanted to build some levels for him and I have this litter enclosure coming and a new water bowl ordered.
How would you set this up? Should I focus on letting him heal and relax for a bit or does that set him up for failure with litter training?
I need help 😅
2021-05-18_08.36.52.jpgIMG_20210516_193445_697.jpgIMG_20210516_193445_736.jpg
Screenshot_20210518-084402_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20210518-084453_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Attachments

• 20210518_083120.jpg
    20210518_083120.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 0
First of all you have such a cute bunny!
I would have the area a bit smaller for potty training. I like the water bowl, ( I have one like that for my bun, I can't answer all of your question's now, Sorry, Good luck

I would give him a bit of a smaller enclosure for now, while you are litter training. He likely won’t start using the litter box consistently until at least a few weeks after his neutering was done. But yes, I would limit his pen space while he is being trained.

There is no way to “set him up for failure when litter training”. Both my rescue bunnies, who were over two years old when I got them, managed to get litter trained very quickly - well-ish. My boy was trained in four days, and my girl took five months...

For now, I would just focus on his healing, and getting him to eat properly. His hormones wouldn’t have fully died down yet anyway, so it may just be best to hold off for a few weeks (although there is no harm in starting now!).

Also, he is an absolute cutie!!!

Back