What to do about spaying?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1357rabbitlover

Reaction score
Bella is scheduled for her spay on the 24th of this month, but my dad just surprised me saying that we are going to spain on the 27th of this month. I only have my brother looking after my bunnies while i am away and he doesn't know anything about them, just knows they need to be fed, watered and let out each day. So i'm thinking, would it be best to rearrange Bella's spay?

Also, after Bella is spayed, how long should she be kept confined for? The vets said 10-14 days but does this mean that she cannot have any run around time at all in this period, and she is to be confined to the crate the whole time?

Also, can she still use her litter tray with carefresh, shredded paper and hay in it? Or will it get into her wound or infect her wound? Any other info about post op care would be helpful too :) Thanks!

Agnes just got spayed on Friday.

My vet said confined for 7 days. But I have heard as long as 14. Agnes is doing REALLY good so after 7 days I'm gonna give her a little freedom.

You can continue to use the same bedding and litter. However you might want to cut the side down on a cheap plastic litterbox if she has a high jump to get in.

Our experience has been really good with a spay. But each bun is different. The biggest issues my vet said that comes up are buns not eating afterwards or incision getting infected or the bun messing with the incision.

I don't know your brother, but you'd have to trust him to examine the incision everyday AND make sure she is eating properly and know who to contact or what to do if she doesn't.

Personally I would reschedule until you get home, because there's no one like mom when you don't feel well. Be sure to get pain medication for after the surgery because it helps them get back to eating. Rabbits don't deal well with pain.

Glad you decided to reschedule, I would have too. Rabbits are so good at hiding signs that it takes someone experienced and really attentive to notice the first signs. Plus, I am sure she would rather be home with you with someone she trusts and finds comfort in to deal with the spay. :)

Latest posts

Back