What to do about new bun?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratmom

Reaction score
I had a friend out of state that asked if I would take her mom's bun in, because she's allergic to it. I had a rescue (not rabbit rescue) pick him up for me, because she was going that way anyway. Well the rescue told me that he is sneezing and his nose is snotty. Which sounds like snuffles to me. This friend told me she's had him to the vet before for sneezing, but the meds didn't do much and the vet said he was healthy. This same vet told them to put him on alfalfa for some reason and he's on a pellet/seed mix :rollseyes. She told me he had diarrhea, because he was nervous moving I guess. I don't know what to do I don't want to infect my other bun and bring him in the house. What would you guys do?

Can he be treated at the rescue before you take him in. it sound like he needs a good knowledeable vet who will put him on a good antibiotic for a long enough time .

he also needs a healthy diet ....

he sounds like he needs care and time to get well

Could you care for him at the rescue ( are you a volunteer? )

Iagree ..not a good idea to bring him home now.

Your right I just can't chance my wilbur getting sick. I'm going to find out what the rescue says. She just takes in rats, but has experience in bunnies too. I just feel awful esp being lied to about this. I couldn't believe the food she told me they have him on. You think you know some people :rollseyes Thanks for the help :)

Wabbitdad12 wrote:
I have a couple of buns that have dust allergies. Could you keep the bun in a different part of your abode for a few days until your sure if its allergies or not? I have had to do that before.
Our wilbur has allergies also. I can definitely do that though & just keep him in a different part of the house.

Is this vet the one that helps with the shelter bunnies? He doesn't sound very knowledgeable. It would be best if he could be treated at the shelter if possible, especially since we're not sure what's going on but we know he hasn't seen a vet worth his salt yet.

Just a update, we've had him for a few days now and he's only sneezed once when we first brought him home. No runny nose, eyes are clear and no bad breathing. He looks to be a blue dutch bunny and he's the sweetest thing. We are slowly moving him to good pellets and he's on timothy now too which he loves. Thank you everyone for your advice. I'll try and take pics of him soon :)

Latest posts

Back