What to Avoid & What is Okay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrittsBunny

Reaction score
I am wanting to put together a list of toys/treats/etc. that are bad for bunnies. I am also wanting to put together a list of things that you all recommend for your bun(nies). I don't know if there is already a list out there, so if there is, I'm sorry for thread with no purpose...but I am a pretty new bunny owner, and when I go to the local pet store, I am always wondering if certain items are safe or dangerous for my bun.

The library is under construction so cannot make a link now so scroll down the page that shows all the forums and find the library area
In Bunny 101 behavior , care and feeding there is an entire link devoted to toys and is labeled "toys "

aw thats good advice :) I have found that toilet roll tubes filled with hay are a great toy. Not sure about ones that are bad for them though

Yeah toilet tubes stuffed with hay is a great toy. I think any untreated cardboard like toilet rolls etc is safe for buns.
Tomato leaves are NOT good. Potatoes and onions are a no no.
Here is a good link to safe veg:
http://www.rabbit.org/care/veggies.html

I have quite simple but loved toys at home for my buns. Kong toys espec for buns, balls with bells in etc. Really simple- none of the extravagent stuff that looks great to us but actually to rabbits doesn't mean anything. They like things they can throw, pick up easiy, nose and roll around, and tear up!!!!! :D
With fruit try to give in small quantities due to high sugar content.

Erm...yeah lol! Look though some threads on here and they will be more detailed.

Hey ya'll thanks for the replies :D

My bun, Wrangler, loves to play with cat toys (the balls with the bells), his baby keys, baby rattler, etc...

I was just wondering if most of the items at the pet store are safe?

I'm sure you've notice how much bunnies love to chew! I try to be really careful about anything that is cloth. If they ingest a lot of that, it clogs up the gut and causes stasis. Much like a baby that likes to put everything in its mouth, I also tend to avoid button eyes, etc, because of the choking hazard.

Having said that, we have one buck that LOVES his little stuffed bunny! lol. We knew he wasn't much of a chewer, and kept an eye on him the first couple of weeks. He's had it for a year and a half, and the toy is still mostly intact.

My bunnies also love things like slinkys (I buy the tiny ones and hang them from the "ceiling" of the cage), hard plastic cups, boxes, boxes, and more boxes, cardboard tubes, and baby linking toys. My Dutchie adores her little flannel tent that hangs from one corner of her cage. Sometimes we distribute parts of old phone books to the ones who love toRRRRIIIIPPPPand shred. I've also put a few kernels of unpopped popcorn in an old pill bottle to make a noisy toy. Unpainted/unstained wicker balls and baskets are great fun to munch on and throw around.

i brought some short lengths of drainage pipe,big enough for the bunnies to crawl thru. no crawling but they love to roll them around. also put down newspaper for the one who likes to shred. for the doe who loves to nibble i give her apple tree branches. my bunny savvy vet recommended this. i do have apple trees so no expense there. i havent tried these willow or wicker balls that have appeared on the shelves of my local pet suppliers. they are labeled as suitable for rabbits and rodents. will keep an eye on the forum to see if anyone else has used them:)

I think twigs from trees with stone fruit (peaches, plums, cherries) are not ok. Also, rubber is a bad idea as they seem to love to eat it. Also, stuffed toys can be bad if the stuffing is ingested--just edited an old thread in the infirmary where the bunny had to have emergency surgery to remove a blockage caused by this!

Also, painted wood or willow, or treated willow is bad.

Back