What the heck is my buns doing?!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How to Solve the Problem

• Spay Ruvy

• Cage her at night

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

mae9406

Reaction score
A little background info:

My rabbit, Ruvy, is about 5 1/2 to 6 months old and aSatin mix. She's been litter trained and has had free-range access to our entire apartment since she's been about a month and a half old and has been super great about using her pan only and not the rest of the house. Usually I only geta couple of poopy pellets right outside and around her littler box, if any. She's our little fur-baby and occassionally feels the need to sleep in our king size bed with us-but usually only when my husband is in our bed(he works night shifts so isn't home until early in the morning). We also have 2 large breed dogs- a Boxer and a Boxer/Lab mix- who both sleep with us on a nightly bases with no give...

The problem/concern:

Yesterday morning, my husband woke up to poopy bunny pellets and urine on the sheets on his side of the bed. Apparently Ruvy had been snuggled up next to him when he went to sleep.We thought that maybe something had upset her tummy/physically and that's why she had the "accidents". But this morning when my husband woke up to use the bathroom there was another urine spot(mind you these weren't the same bedding as the night before either, everything had been changed) and more poopy pellets on HIS side only- AGAIN!

We also noticedRuvy some howhad managed to kick the dogs off the bed, (and our Boxer puppy is always VERY stubborn about snuggling up our butts on a nightly bases, even when its super hot). So it was baffling that once we cleaned up the new mess and my husband called up our pup she wouldn't budge and continued to lay on the floor.

Also, during the short clean up period there was a little moment when she went up to my husband and did a little scratching/clawing number on his foot while he was sitting. Nothing to break the skin or anything,but I thought the behavior very odd for our bunny:expressionless.I've read a bit about rabbit "puberty" and I *think* she's old enough to be starting to go through it? And if she is, is this new behavior her way of showing "ownership" and "affection" OR is it a show of "aggression" and "territory"?:dunnoI've been telling my husband that we may need to get her spayed, but would this stop this from happening? Or should we just cage her at night so she can't get to the bed? She ONLY does this at night, during the day she acts the same as always, but I hate the idea of having to contain her even for a little period of time each night. :(

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

I just saw "5 1/2 to 6 months old" and knew immediately that it was bunny puberty. That age is prime time for female buns to lose litter habits, get territorial, etc.

I think it's time to get her spayed.

If I wasn't to get her spayed would this behavior decress once her hormones leveled out? How long does this "puberty" stage last for female rabbits?

Without the spay, she'll always have high hormone levels, so her behavior won't really level out or go away. Getting her spayed will allow you to have a much happier life with her, and will allow her to live a longer and happier life.

definitely spaying will moderate her behavior. We relate it to the "terrible two's" when our kids were growing up. Sometimes a really nice sweet little bunny will become a little monster overnight and will stay that way. All 8 of ours have been neutralized.

Sounds like spaying is the way to go. I just called my vet(that we take our dogs too) and they charge $171 for a bunny spay. Is that about right? That seems a little steep to me. They did also suggest maybe an exotic pet place in town so I am about to call them for a pricing. Just curious if anyone of you know of any place in the Toledo/Maumee, Ohio Or surrounding area with good pricing and quality pet care? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Try your local humane society first. General vets and exotic vets will charge from $150-$350 for a spay on a rabbit for some reason. Humane society in my area offers it for $50-65.

I would also make sure that whoever does the spay is experienced with bunnies. A vet that is great with dogs won't necessarily have experience doing bunny surgery. I would call the exotic vet, and also call the humane society.

For reference, my vet charges $400 for neuters (not sure about spays, but I'm assuming more), so I don't think $170 is too much at all. It all varies by location and how expensive the area is in general. Also, check what is included with the price - some vets charge more, but the price includes pain meds, time spent at the vet's office, and maybe even pre-surgery bloodwork. They can also charge more for better anesthesia, which I think is a good thing to pay more money for.

I just looked up my local humane societies website so I could get the number and it looks like they only do cats and dogs.:?

Just called the exotic pet place in my town and the lady recommended NOT spaying her where she's our only rabbit. She told me that she'd recommend just putting her back in her cage/enclosed area if she looks like she's going to mark an area she's not allowed too. Huh...

Reproductive cancer is pretty common in non-breeding females - some estimates are as high as 80% occurrence by the age of 3, and even if that's a high estimate, it's no small amount. Plus, having a rabbit you can live peacefully with is worth any amount of money! I would question any exotic vet who doesn't think spays are necessary. They should've at least discussed it with you, rather than blowing you off.

I hope you're able to find a vet who is comfortable with the procedure. I would consider driving a bit to find a good vet - my vet is 30min away, and I would drive further to get the best vet care for my guys, because not all vets are skilled with rabbits.

mae9406 wrote:
Just called the exotic pet place in my town and the lady recommended NOT spaying her where she's our only rabbit. She told me that she'd recommend just putting her back in her cage/enclosed area if she looks like she's going to mark an area she's not allowed too. Huh...

With all respect, this person doesn't seem to know what she is talking about.

Who would recommend NOT spaying a female who is going through characteristic hormonal behaviour changes, and who is not going to be bred from? Does this exotic place have much experience with rabbits?

I would definately spay her, for all the reasons mentioned by others above, if not for any other reason than the uterine cancer mentioned by Laura.
Spaying Ruvy will not only eliminate the possiblity of reproductive cancers, but it will help, if not completely eradicate, any hormonal behaviours, such as bad litter habits, aggression, territoriality (common in unspayed females), false pregnancies- the list goes on.

It can be pricey for spays (neuters not so much)- here it would be near £85 (pounds not dollars) for a rabbit spay at my vets, but it's a one time payment that can really 'fix' so many 'problems'.

Jen

I knew that sounded kinda odd, considering what I'veread on here,but that's what the receptionist/secretary whoever it is that answers the phone said... Here's their website if you'd like to look at it. They look to be very experienced professionals of exotic animals. :dunno

http://www.birdexoticpetvets.com/

The lady did somewhat "discuss" the reason why- saying that it's not a common practice as spaying or neutering a cat or dog, and that the procedure may or may not "fix" the marking/urinating issues anyways. And that where she was the only rabbitliving with us there's no wayfor her toget pregnant, and that unwanted behavior shouldjustget her put back in hercage (like when she is attempting to mark somewhere she's not supposed too). BUT Ruvy doesn't have a cage(she has an "area" but it's not enclosed 100%. I also told her she was litter trained and free-range, maybe she didn't understand what I meant by that?)Oh, I was also told by her that I shouldn't have to alter the rabbit itself to correct the behavior butjust the rabbits "habits".I'm really not sure what she meant by that...

These folks aren't my normal vet. But they were suggested to be given a call by my normal vet because they are SUPPOSED to be the localexperts in the field, and although my vet does specialize in small animals as well they haven't done many spays/neuters of the small animal variety yet because apparently it isn't a common thing around here (or so I am assuming if the "local experts" don't even consider it a common practice :?). My normal vet office said theywould do the procedure if I truly wanted them to do it, but she seemed hesitant.Granted I LOVE my current vet office. There advice saved one of my guinea pig boys when he would have otherwise died on me so I trust them with my animals- even my little "pocket pets".

On the other hand, Ruvy's behavior isn't horrible. It's just the marking I've noticed she's been doing on our bed at nights... So maybe holding off on it wouldn't be so bad if I don't have anyone around that I can trust and that is confident in their experience/knowledge to do the procedure? I mean ICAN always block her out of our bedroom at nights...

That is true; I guess some does' behaviour is livable with.

But what about the risks of reproductive cancers? I have heard the percentage stated by Laura quoted many times, give or take 5%.

Jen

I don't think you're likely to curb her behavior through behavioral training (ie putting her back in the cage when she marks). Unfortunately, the hormones will probably be stronger than your will to train her.

With the risk of reproductive cancer so high, I don't see any reason *not* to spay. I would find another exotic vet if they don't feel comfortable doing it. With an experienced vet, there is a very very low risk of complications - the risk of uterine cancer is much higher than the risk that she will die on the operating table.

Back