What smallish breed???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amdfarm

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong. I love my Flemish doe to bits, and the reason I picked that breed is because of size and temperment and the fact that there aren't a whole lot of them around here at shows. My son is in 4-H and he'll have the only Flemish being shown. I'm showing her in the open show at the same fair and will be one of two being shown by an adult. Son may show her in the youth division.

I'd like to get more into the breeding and showing aspect of things.

My plan was to get a lionhead doe, but now I'm having second thoughts, as there are soooo many out there. I like being different w/ the Flemish.

What smallish breeds are out there that aren't as common, yet w/ nice color and a good temperment? I like spotted ones, not so much solids. Around here lionheads, mini rex and lops (non english, more minis that anything)are very popular. I like the standard rex andthe english lops. I'd like to get a baby and pedigreed, I do know that.

TIA for any suggestions.

Have you looked into Harlequins? They max out at 9.5 pounds, but its hard to find them that big anymore. I've large does at 8 pounds. And I can't explain how amazing their personalities are. They're not 'small' but are a lot smaller then what you've got now. And beyond unique =)

With any breed there are calm and aggressive rabbits you just have to know the lines the rabbit is out of. In my rabbitry I do not tolerate aggressive rabbits and they are culled. Some small breeds include Netherland Dwarfs, polish,AFL, holland lops, dwarf hotots, jersey woolys all of these breeds are 4lbs and under. I breed Netherland dwarfs & jersey woolys love the temperment and look of both breeds
Good luck.

Thanks, Crystal and Tobi! I will research the Harlies and others mentioned. I do like the Harlequin look and patterns for sure. I don't think I've seen many of those. I have seen JW and ND dwarfs at the show, but they are super cute.

And yes, I said small-ish, as in not as big as my Flemish. I have a smaller hutch that's begging to be lived in. :) All of my animals are pretty spoiled, but the house bunny certainly is.

I've got to say that I'm falling in love with the Polish breed. (I also enjoy the holland lops). Based on my rabbit, a friend's rabbit and what I've heard - I feel like they're an excellent "starter rabbit" for someone who wants a smaller breed as a pet. They also come in the broken pattern.

Oh wow, I'm feeling overwhelmed already. I've found breeders close to me for Harlequins and Polish, still searching the others. The Polish are freaking adorable!! And sooo tiny, like the lionheads. Just saw pics of a Dwarf Hotot and wow are they cute, too. The search continues. I've emailed the Polish breeder. One look and I was pretty much hooked. My BF is going to kill me! :)

I went and looked at some Polish yesterday. VERY VERY cute and nice tempered. Unfortunately, no broken babies until May unless I buy a brood doe. But I'd like to show and the breeder doesn't show his brood stock. He's got a nice mother daughter pair of black brokens, but I want a young doe and these are older, plus I didn't like the head on the daughter (2yo.) He had a nice blue broken that was super sweet and of a nice type, but she's 4yo. I'd prefer younger. So I will wait.

I'm going to a big show on the 19th so I will be able to see all of the smaller breeds amongst others and get more ideas. I did really like the short, round and compact type of the Polish... such sweet faces on all of them.

Sigh....

I love the polish breed. My doe Angel chases the dog when she gets mad and nips at her feet (45 pound dog) - but is afraid of 3 pound rabbits....

I guess the dog did something to her once and she has a LONG memory...

She's a cuddler...

How funny Peg!! You need to video that sometime! Nobody would ever believe me! What kind of dog?

Thanks for the list Misty!! I checked it out. Will have to find pics of all of those breeds now. sigh....

What's the temperment like on the elops? I love their faces and their looks. Are they cuddlers? They look pretty laid back.

I have a buck that would sit still for me, buttttt my does seem to all be nuts. And not the cuddling type of rabbit. Others might have better experience.

I love my three elops....they're so much fun. But I wouldn't say that they're cuddlers at all.

Jar Jar will give me kisses when I hold him and pet him...but he's not one who "enjoys" cuddling like my Polish does and like several of my flemish do.

Ok I looked at the rare rabbit breed list and yesterday I just saw several of those
breeds for the first time at a rabbit show I went to I saw a
Belgian Hare he was so cute I also saw a silver,a lilac I think, and then I saw a few others on the list that I have before..

right know my favorite small breed is the jersey wooly I live them my friend brought one to the show with her and he is so adorable..

Thanks, Crystal, Peg, Peppers Mom and Misty!!

I can't a find a JW breeder in my state! Go figure!! I know I've seen them at shows, just need to figure out where to find one! Guess I'll wait for the show next weekend. I'm sure I'll find someone w/ them there! They are very cute, on the small side and fuzzy, which is what my BF likes. He likes the fuzzy ones.

I found a French Angora breeder in my state. Another option if I want more work. :)

Latest posts

Back