What size coroplast do I need

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigwigbunny

Reaction score
What size coroplast do I need for a 2 X 3 NIC cage and how high would that make the walls? Any suggestions for finding it in Indianapolis?

Well, measure out the length of two NICs.
Then, Measure out the length of three NICs.
Add about foot onto each measurement.

This would make the walls of the coroplast tray 6 inches high on all sides.

See Image below :)

bigwigbunny wrote:
What size coroplast do I need for a 2 X 3 NIC cage and how high would that make the walls? Any suggestions for finding it in Indianapolis?
Do you have a Hobby Lobby nearby? Hubby saw it at our local one.

For a 2X3 cage, you can use 2 2X4ft pieces of chloroplast. It does mean you have to cut it and rearrange it to fit, but it can be cheaper than buying a big 4X8 sheet.

Not all buns need a high side. I find that 4" on each side in enough. If your rabbit does kick bedding out, then higher sides might be needed. Most people don't use litter in the whole cage, so that usually isn't an issue.

If your rabbit is a chewer, you should put something on the edges to prevent chewing. I have found that plastic poster hangers work wonderfully. They need to be put on before you tape up the sides and you have to slide them over top.

My cages are quite large (3x6 NIC panels), so I went with a full-sized (4ft x 8ft) sheet of coroplast for each cage. On mine, the sides of the coroplast only go up about 2" on the long ends, and 3" on the short ends, and is on the outside of the panels so the bunnies can't chew it easily.

I would prefer higher sides, but what I have does fine to contain stray poops.

I got mine at a sign-making shop.

I recommend subtracting 1/2" per seam as an allowance. If I had cut my coroplast to the measurements of the cage (plus more for the walls) it wouldn't have fit properly. You need a tiny bit of wiggle room.

I have a 2 x 3 cage and I cut the coroplast to be 33 1/2 " (allowing for a 6" back wall but no front wall) by 53" (with two 6" sides).

Make sure that when you cut that little bit of the corner that has to fold that you cut perpendicular to the lines of the coroplast. If you cut parallel to them it won't fold as flush as it should.

Back