What should these be bred to for best color?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MelissaPenguin

Reaction score
My aunt ended up getting two rabbits for pets, but today I seen them and fell in LOVE! I don't know where she got them, but I told her that they were kind of rare for this area, and I want them both! I don't think she plans on breeding them, but if I can talk her into breeding them and giving me the babies I want, I definitely plan on it LOL!

One is a gorgeous BEW Netherland Dwarf and the other is an adorable Dwarf Hotot.
What color should they be bred with for the best possibility of ending up with just as gorgeous babies?

BEW Netherland Dwarfs should of course stay purebred definitely. If you want to keep having BEW's then she should ONLY be bred to another BEW Netherland Dwarf. If you breed her to any solid color you will wind up with Vienna marked rabbits which look like Dutch rabbits.

Dwarf Hotot is the same; best to stick with purebred of the same variety (there is only one!)

The BEW could be bred to a BEW carrying VM to produce BEW as well.... however, if they are not common in your area, chances of finding a BEW carrier VM might be more difficult than just finding a BEW....

Dwarf Hotot... I believe they come in different colors? (Same markings but I think there is chocolate and blue also) Only black is showable though... (Someone can correct me if I am wrong on this though)

So I have to find another BEW and another Hotot. Hmmm. Sounds tricky D= lol I plan on buying at least one bun from the state fair but that's not until September. I guess I will just have to keep my eyes out for the same buns.

I haven't been to many shows, but honestly these are the first of these kinds I have seen in the area. There's a BEW on CraigsList right now but it's $50 and I don't have that kind of money at the moment. :(

About the hotots, chocolate is an accepted variety and can be shown with the black banded rabbits. It's just really hard to find the chocolates. Blue bands haven't been accepted yet but I tend to see more of them than the chocolates.:)

Back