What should I watch for?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blaze_Amita

Reaction score
Well some of the cows in the neighboring feild ended up giving our steer's, sheep our horses and I'm worried my rabbits were also exposed, I've had them out in the x-pen's for play times, and I know Ringworm's a fungus(Me and betadine baths are now friends with my baby girl Jazz) and it'll spread across the ground(hence how Jazz was exposed when she couldn't get near those stupid cows) and I'm just afraid that I might miss signs of it. Jazz got really bad, my poor horse was almost naked before the vet told me it wasn't normal climate change-bad shedding. The vet finally decided that it had to have been ringworm, once he saw the steer(who we were treating already) he finally told me it was ring worm and what to do to treat her. THankfully, even after only three days of the betadine baths, she's growing her hair back.

SO I guess the main question is what signs should I look for in the rabbits in case they picked it up as well? I mean it's spread to 6 of the 7 horses(at least showing signs), 4 of the 5 sheep(the bottle baby is seperated from everyone at this point) and the llama isn't showing signs(he's in with the steers and sheep). I want to catch the rabbit's long before we found out what it was on Jazz(the worst horse).

my female rex,was negative for ring worm,,but her bum was bare,,as fur fell out in clumps.,,she was given oral antibiotic -(sulfadime)-,i later found an abcsess on her front left foot,,which was treated with baytril/cipro,,all the fur has grown back,,but she still has clostridium,,flagyl will be next,,note when giving any oral antibiotic offer a probotic as well,,i like critical care(oxbow)...sincerely james waller

First of all, ringworm can be easily transmitted to humans too- so be careful!

The symptoms of ringworm are very round, naked regions of skin, which seem to have a very defined edge. The skin should look clean and healthy, apart from sometimes there can be areas of raised, reddish lumps (which you have to look closely to see).

Jen

Ringworm is not a worm at all, but a fungal infection. It gets it's name from the ring shaped lesions seen on the skin of infected humans. In rabbits, ringworm turns up as sores (no rings!) that are usually itchy and found around the head. Ringworm must be differentiated from other causes of scabs and sores, such as ordinary wounds.
Ringworm can be treated in two ways. The first option is antifungal ointment applied directly to the affected area. Secondly, antifungal medicine can be given by mouth. This works by becoming incorporated into the developing hair so that the fungus cannot survive. Treatment may take several weeks.
Ringworm is a zoonosis (a disease that can be transmitted from animal to human) so care should be taken when handling an infected rabbit until the lesion has healed.
Possible sources of infection include hay, soil, or the family cat. Rabbits can also catch ringworm from humans, so remember to protect bunny if any human member of the family comes home with ringworm after handling farm animals!

This is taken from the Rabbit Welfare Website

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/skin.htm

none of the rabbits came down with it, and the horses has completely recovered. we ended up with a total of 4 of 7 horses with it, 1 of 2 steers, none on the 7 sheep or the llama. . . dang, but now i konw what to look for.
and best of all was, none on any of the humans!

Latest posts

Back