What should I do with a frightened bunny.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terrifictoby

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have bought 6 bunnies from an auction. I bought two each from different sellers. The auctioneer people handled the bunnies and other animals a little roughly to me but then again I am sure they are trying to be carefull.

Two of the bunnies seemedoverly scared. All the bunnies have, including the other one of the pair I bought, have all calmed down. They greet me at the door and they aren't afraid. This one little cute bunny with a bunch of long hair on its head just freezes in the back of the cage. I have held it and pet it and put it on the bed with me to get it used to us. It still freezes up like it is very frightened and scratches me like crazy with I pick it up. When I put fresh produce in the cage for the rabbits, all the rabbits run to it and start eating and I am afraid it won't get the nurishment it needs because itjust stays in the back frozen in place.

Any information I could get to help this little baby would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely from a worried mom. Toby:?

The best way to get a scared rabbit to trust you is have some one-on-one quiet time. The best thing to do is let the rabbit run around freely (in a pen outside, or inside your house) and just sit in the area with them. Read a book, watch tv, just pay no attention to the rabbit. Let it come up to you and climb on you, and don't move at all. Let the bunny investigate you fully before you attempt to pet it or pick it up. You can also hand-feed treats, like half of the daily pellet ration, or veggies/fruit. Once the rabbit is comfortable with you and isn't afraid you're going to pick it up and eat it (as most predators do--think about it, the only time a rabbit isn't on the ground in the wild is when a predator is carrying it away to eat it), then you can gently pick them up.

Very good advice. It takes time for some bunnies to trust you. Others are just so friendly and relaxed you get spoiled. We've fostered over 30 rabbits, so, we've seen the whole spectrum. Above all else, patience and quiet bonding will work best. Always let the bunny come to you. When Charlene and Bambi came to us, they were both very shy little girls--both are mini's. Now, they come right up to us and don't mind being picked up. Serena, a checkered Giant, was very friendly from the start and is a lap bunny--she'll get right on your lap and won't move as long as she's getting a rub.

Thank you Tony for your information, I really appreciate it. I guess your right about the predator thing and I am sure the rough handling they received at the auction did scare them. Also, I do not think they were handled much before me.

I did do what you said and put him/her (I don't know which yet) on the bed with me and let him/her run around as it wanted to. I also gave him some crackers and he calmed down enough to start eating them. I am just going to keep at it. All the rest of the bunnies are starting to be very relaxed indeed. I truly am enjoying them.

Thanks Nancy for your suggestions, I will use the info you have given me to help my little scared one. The other rabbits seem to be getting over the fright quite well but the other is taking longer and he is my favorite of them all. My camera broke so I am unable to post any pictures of him. I think I am going to borrow one, I would like to have pictures of them, they are really a lot of fun.

I definately will have patience with my scared rabbit and I will do what you suggested and let him come to me. I will let you know how he is coming along. Thanks again. Toby

Latest posts

Back