What should i do about glue residue on Storm's fur?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catlyn

Reaction score
I failed to notice how exactly it happened, but when i went to investigate why Storm was running around looking extra panicked, i discovered that he had stomped on an open roll of flytape and it got tangled in his hocks, butt and tail. It was probably a roll that fell from the ceiling without me noticing...

I called dad over and we removed the tape and most of the dirt that we could get, but he still looks like he could use some assistance with getting the glue off.
I'm not confident enough in taking a comb or scissors for those matted parts of his tail as Storm just hates when i try to brush him there, just threw a tantrum when i went to check on it.
He's also got a small knot in his tailbone, wonder where he got that from..
I don't know how harmful the usual flytape glue is, but i'm hoping that as he's eating good amounts of hay and drinking plenty of water, once he gets himself untangled he should be fine again?
Or is it something that should be checked by a vet even if he's eating and drinking and moving as normal?

Vegetable oil might get it out of the fur, but then you would have the vegetable oil to remove, which would require a butt bath with a rabbit safe shampoo. So you would need to decide if it's necessary and worth removing from the fur.

Not knowing the specifics on the particular fly trap, but a Google search for ones used in the US say the glue isn't toxic to pets. Though if he ingested some of the paper, it may or may not pose a digestive obstruction risk. It just depends on how much was consumed.

I will spare us both from the butt bath. He cannot be safely handled for that. He hates it and he bites, and his bites are something that easily break skin and leave scars. I don't have rabbit-safe shampoo either.
He didn't eat any of the paper, he was just nervous and running 'round the place because he couldn't shake it off. We pulled off the entirety of the flytape and he flicked his feet alll the way across the enclosure, but aside from having to pick off hay debris, he looks completely fine.

Latest posts

Back