what other beddin can i use?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bexn2kids

Reaction score
hey all thumper is 8 months old and i have litter trained him very well with great success i pop hay in his litter box and above it and he loves to eat it i pop new spaper in the rest of the cage but thumper gets black paws from the print so i put some straw in the cage for a bed and thumper started weein on pooin on it so i had to take it out and now he is usin his litter tray again fine , so what else could i put in the cage on the floor as he hates it bare ?? do you think i could put sawdust down ??or any other ideas would be great x tc luv becks xx

A lot of people including myself use Woody Pet. It is also called Equine Fresh. It looks like little pellets and a little bit goes a LONG way.

Sharon

Is it a wire cage floor? In one of my cages I put down those plastic sink mats with the holes in them (convenient for stray pellets to fall through :) and in another cage I use the straw-sea weed mats for them to stand on. If its a plastic bottom, you could try Yesterday's News cat litter. I use this in my litter box though, soyour bun might start going on the floor.Not sure what else besides some kind of litter. Or maybe put a towel down for him to lay on?

Hope this helps!

Starlight Rabbitry wrote:
A lot of people including myself use Woody Pet. It is also called Equine Fresh. It looks like little pellets and a little bit goes a LONG way.

Sharon
:yeahthat

Wood pellet bedding is fantastic! There's a whole bunch of different brands. In my area, I can only find Marth and Eagle Valley ABM. They all work well. If you can't find wood pellets made for bedding, some people use wood pellets that are made as fuel for pellet stoves. Just make sure that there's no chemicals added.

I put down pegboard on the floor of my buns' cages. It's great because it's inexpensive, has great traction on the rougher side, and is easy to clean. :)

Hi bexn2kids,

One of the popular beddings is Carefresh. It's expensive though.

You could use kiln-dried Aspen Shaving, too.

I have wire bottom cages, but my buns all have blankies that they invariably lounge/sleep on. I bought baby blankets at the dollar store and cut them into appropriate sizes.

I use Woody Pet for the litter pans.
The original use of Woody Pet was for horse bedding....if you wet the pellets down, it will turn to a sawdust consistancy with a yield of about 3:1 (ie; 1 cup of pellets = 3 cups sawdust)

~Jim

Latest posts

Back