What mixes could they be?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dainerra

Reaction score
I know you've just been DYING to see what these little guys look like now.
biggrin.gif

I got pics of 5 of them, only missing the big black bunny. He looks exactly like the little black bunny, only bigger lol
What do they look like might be in there?? Both parents are mixes of ????, so I'm mostly just curious.

20110406175956.jpg

20110406180007.jpg

20110406180056.jpg

20110406180125.jpg

20110406180420.jpg

20110406180202.jpg

20110406180151.jpg

[align=center]AHHHH!! I LOVE THE ONE IN THE FOURTH PICTURE DOWN! D: *adds to bunny-napping list*

Ditto to what Larry said =)

One of them looks like it has blue eyes....is that true? Or is my computer monitor messing with me?

nope, the brown/white bunny has blue eyes. the brown bunny has one eye that, I swear, looks half brown and half blue!

Some of them are different pics of the same bunny - oops.. lol the 4th down is staying, don't have a name picked out yet. The top 2 pics are of Yoda, also staying.

the black bunnies are identical, right down to having the same white toes, just one is 1/2 the size.

Nancy McClelland wrote:
I can see some ND, Himi, and Dutch. Definitely cute.

Although there is one that is Himi colored and a few Dutch colored, their colors are probably not indicative of the breeds they're mixed with.

Himi is a recognized color in many different breeds. And it appears that the Dutch-marked ones have blue eyes, which means that their markings are not a result of a Dutch cross, but rather from the vienna gene. This is what causes BEW (blue-eyed white) rabbits. But since it is recessive, if they don't receive a vienna gene from both parents, they just come out "partially BEW", or vienna marked.

The bunnies in question just appear to be mixes of mixes. However, I would venture a guess that, at one point in time, there were Holland or Mini Lops in their family tree. Although they obviously have up-ears, the tips of the ears are very rounded which is characteristic of the lop breeds.

Beyond that, it is very difficult to venture a guess about rabbit mixes because, like I said, color very seldom gives us a clue. Sometimes when distinguising between this or that breed, you can say that x color is more popular in x breed than y breed. But in this case, himi, tort otter, VM, and especially black could be the product of many different breeds.

They are very cute, whatever they may be! Enjoy them! :)

That's what I was thinking Julie, our neighbor has several Vienna marked pureblooded Lionheads. I was sure that mark had nothing to do with Dutches if they have blue eyes but was because of that Vienna gene.
They're all very cute! But just mixes from what I see

well, BEW is definitely daddy bunny. I believe he might have had something "mini" in there somewhere - he was just a little larger than my hand. Then again, I also don't know how old he was, though the previous owner had him for at least 2 months.

As to the two colored eye, our boy Spike who is part Black Otter and Dutch has dual colored eyes--his right is 1/3 brown and 2/3 blue and his left is 1/3 blue and 2/3 brown.

Nancy McClelland wrote:
As to the two colored eye, our boy Spike who is part Black Otter and Dutch has dual colored eyes--his right is 1/3 brown and 2/3 blue and his left is 1/3 blue and 2/3 brown.
What breed is your black otter?

I have heard of Dutch throwing blue-gray eyes before. But marbled or baby blue eyes are usually the result of the vienna gene.

Yeah Bailee's blue dutch has grey eyes and they're gorgeous! Like you said, it's the bright blue with the vienna gene. I would love to have a BEW or Vienna with eyes like that

nochoramet wrote:
Yeah Bailee's blue dutch has grey eyes and they're gorgeous! Like you said, it's the bright blue with the vienna gene. I would love to have a BEW or Vienna with eyes like that

[align=center]Yep! The eyes match his fur almost perfectly.

DSC_00272.jpg

Latest posts

Back