What makes your rabbit rescue successful?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amy27

Task Force
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I accepted the position at the humane society I volunteer at to be the lead rabbit volunteer. This humane society is geared more towards cats and dogs and really the rabbits lives while living there are very sad. There are very few volunteers that come to get the rabbits out. There is not a lot of advertisement that there are rabbits there so we don't adopt a lot out. Some are put to sleep because there isn't room.

I would like to make the rabbit program more successful. I would love to figure out how to get more people involved that can volunteer to let the rabbits out to run. I have emailed rabbit people I know and some that have been forwarded on to me. But other then that, I am not sure what to do.

What are some things your shelters do to get people involved and to promote rabbit adoption? For the first time this year, we did our first adoption event for International Rabbit Day but we didn't adopt any rabbits. Though there was a lot of education going on about rabbits.

Any ideas would really be appreciated. I took this on because the previous person didn't have time to send out emails or do much with the program. I have the time, I just need some ideas.

Thanks Amy

I would try to get the word out as much as possible. Set up a Facebook page, even if the shelter already has one make one for the rabbits and get it linked to the shelter page. Update is as often as you can and put up info on the bunnies including pictures, videos and stories. There may be pet store and other local businesses that would be willing to help advertise and get word out to their people and customers.
Advertise on sites like craigslist and Kijiji. I know that some local rescues put up ads, usually for each pet. Include any info on that rabbit and how to adopt it. Also put up some ads asking for volunteers or anyone willing to help.
Contact local vets, both rabbit and not. Ask if you can put up a flyer in their office and if they are willing to refer the shelter if someone comes in looking for a rabbit.
Also contact local rabbit clubs and groups. Even the breeders clubs can be good and some breeders do want to help people get a rabbit no matter where it is from, some even get requests for a specific breed but they don't have that breed and could refer to the shelter. 4-H clubs and other clubs are also good and they have people who may be looking for pet rabbits.

Make adopting a rabbit as positive experience for people. Up the benefits and positive aspects of each rabbit. Don't try to hide things, but also don't just highlight the negatives. If the rabbits are spayed or neutered, say that and the benefits of it. When people come to the shelter, have it easy for them to view the rabbits, see a bit about the rabbit like a comment card, and try to have people around to help with the adoption. It can be frustrating for an adopter to arrive and not be able to find the rabbit, not know anything about the rabbit they find and have a hard time finding someone to talk to. The cages and rabbit area should look good: good lighting, clean cages, happy rabbits can go a long way to getting a rabbit adopted.

Have info avaliable on the shelter website, any other media you use and in the shelter. A simple pamphlet with basic cage and websites is good, but some extra info is also useful.

An important thing is to get rabbits adopted. Some shelters have very strict rules and many pets don't get adopted becasue of it. Examine the adoption policy and see if anything may need to be changed to make it a bit easier for people to adopt. The goal should be to get the rabbits into loving homes where they will be cared for not necessary to get them into a home where they have to be free range with organic veggies 3 times a day. You don't have to compromise on things like having them inside, but have some leanicy on other things like other pets, if other pets are fixed or how big the cage might be.

Back