what litter do you use

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucylocket

Reaction score
hi all

just wondering what litter yous use at the moment

at the moment lucy is using shavings has done since she was a baby

but fancied trying something with an odour protector in

any suggestions varna xxxx

Hi varna!

You know what I'd advise, but I know how difficult it is to get by you unless you want to pay a lot for the shipping.

There are a few products that might be safe. Beautikat, Fussy Puss, Pampuss, Smart Cat, Snowflake, are all wood-based cat litter products that should be available in the UK.

I would just make sure that these products have been processed to make it safe for bunnie use...ie; kiln dry processing to eliminate harmful aromatic oils.

~Jim

Dirt :D

Potting soil, to be exact. I use it in the mice cages and find that it lasts longer, controls odors better, and is significantly cheaper than traditional litters/bedding.And it's dust-free, which is oh-so-good for my allergies.

In order to keep the rabbits off the dirt I use grated litterbox covers:

http://www.xanga.com/domesticzookeeper/486546562/the-latest-project-grated-litterbox-covers.html

Those pics are kindaold, they have a new litterbox and cage set up now:

[align=center]
188309790_a9251f1b6f.jpg
[/align]

Your idea of using florescent light covers as a grate to keep buns from sitting in their litter is a GREAT idea! Not to mention you use regular PVC pipe pieces as a thing to hold it up is awesome! I've been looking for some way to do this. I know Pet_Bunny uses stitching screen (like you find in hobby stores), but I haven't been able to find it (argh), so I've been trying to find another way. This is PERFECT, as my husband does electrical work and is at hardward stores ALL THE TIME, so it would be a piece-of-cake for him to pick that stuff up while he's out! Awesome!

One of the goals I'm trying to reach with their litterboxes is to make something that will catch their little poops, so I don't have to completely dump out their complete box of wood pellet litter every time, and all I would have to do is scoop out the pee-soaked broken-down pellets.

I think I'll try your idea, and find some sort of inexpensive (water resistant) screen to put on it that will catch their poops.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing your idea!! :D

m.e. wrote:
Dirt :D

Potting soil, to be exact. I use it in the mice cages and find that it lasts longer, controls odors better, and is significantly cheaper than traditional litters/bedding.And it's dust-free, which is oh-so-good for my allergies.

In order to keep the rabbits off the dirt I use grated litterbox covers:

http://www.xanga.com/domesticzookeeper/486546562/the-latest-project-grated-litterbox-covers.html

Those pics are kindaold, they have a new litterbox and cage set up now:

[align=center]
188309790_a9251f1b6f.jpg
[/align]

I use red cedar. I don't use the wire cages because I don't like them myself. Now that miffy is litter box trained i put a bit in her litter box and about two handfulls in the cage, she usually scoots it out of the way to lay down anyways. I always clean the whole cage out at least every other day sometimes more often. It's a bit more in cost and probably not what most people do but I really like how clean her cage stays now that she's litter box trained and she's used it since I got her so she's used to it.

On the top floor in one room of Dribbles hutch i put hay and in the other room i put sawdust but i to would like to no of a litter that makes the hutch less smelly.

On the topic of resizing avatars i sent mine to hh2420 andthey are going to resize it and send it back so soon you will be seeing Dribbles alot

heavenlyshelties wrote:
I use red cedar. I don't use the wire cages because I don't like them myself. Now that miffy is litter box trained i put a bit in her litter box and about two handfulls in the cage, she usually scoots it out of the way to lay down anyways. I always clean the whole cage out at least every other day sometimes more often. It's a bit more in cost and probably not what most people do but I really like how clean her cage stays now that she's litter box trained and she's used it since I got her so she's used to it.
I just wanted to mention that the use of cedar is very controversial and is suspected of harming the rabbits respiratory system due to the aromatic oils that cedar contains. Pine is also suspected of the same dangers to rabbits.

i heard you can use wood pellets or something thats what i was going to use. by 'litterbox' what do you use as your litterbox can you buy a litterbox from a pet shop or do you make one

maherwoman wrote:
Your idea of using florescent light covers as a grate to keep buns from sitting in their litter is a GREAT idea! Not to mention you use regular PVC pipe pieces as a thing to hold it up is awesome! I've been looking for some way to do this. I know Pet_Bunny uses stitching screen (like you find in hobby stores), but I haven't been able to find it (argh), so I've been trying to find another way.

The product that Pet_Bunny uses is called "plastic canvas". We carry it at The Rag Shop craft stores by us. Unfortunately my buns would make short work of it.

I used a plastic grid that was laying around the house for Binkie's pan.

attachment.php

If I need to fashion more in the future I'll be looking for the lighting fixture grids, too.

I use aspen crumble bedding in my litter pans. It soaks up the pee wonderfully, and turns into this potting soil looking substance when it soaks up the pee. Pretty cheap, and is safe if the bunnies eat it because it breaks down into a mush. The bag also states it is friendly if eaten.

http://bunnyrabbit.com/price/odorcontrol.htm

First item listed on the page.

aspen_500cf_2.jpg

MyBoyHarper wrote:
I use aspen crumble bedding in my litter pans. It soaks up the pee wonderfully, and turns into this potting soil looking substance when it soaks up the pee. Pretty cheap, and is safe if the bunnies eat it because it breaks down into a mush. The bag also states it is friendly if eaten.

http://bunnyrabbit.com/price/odorcontrol.htm

First item listed on the page.
How much for how much??

And I like these, too. Some member used wire mesh silverware organizers (turned upside down) for the same purpose

Latest posts

Back