What Litter do you suggest?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AprilBird4

Reaction score
No bunnies yet, but I want to start off on the right foot and benefit from other's experience.

So.........I 'plan' on my buns being two lionheads, so we are talking small and hair 'considerations'.

I'm thinking a box (at least one) with a wire liner or whatever, so that when I put hay in with the litter it won't be 'right on' the litter. I'm expecting I'll be wanting a couple of boxes. At least 1 or 2 in the cage. But I was thinking for outside the cage maybe I wouldn't use one with the wire rack. Just won't put maybe as much hay in and of course only when they are out. Maybe not both boxes in the cage with the wire, either.

But these are just thoughts, which is why I'm asking questions. Maybe you all have better suggestions. But I don't really know what type/brand of litter itself might be best.

Yesterdays News is the BEST thing EVER! i've used it right from the start with Jamie(male Holland Lop)and it's wonderful! i use a corner litter pan and his food/water/hay is all where he can reach it in the box, but it still stays clean. although he likes to move the food and hay dishes around, so they don't always stay there, the point is if he wants them there he can have them there. it really helped at first when he was litter training(he trained super fast, two weeks and he was pretty much accident free:biggrin2:)to have his food and hay where he could sit in the box and munch at the same time, now that he's older(7 months)he doesn't really seem to care. the Yesterdays News is really good with the smell, we ran out one time and had to use something else, it was still recycled news paper, and i hated it! the litter it self smelled and the smell control was..............not good. it's a bit pricey, but if you get the largest size that brings the price down. i don't know if you have cats, but we do, so i use the empty kitty litter(plastic)boxes to store it in.

so to summarize that, i'd recommend using Yesterdays news with a corner litter box(make sure what ever you get has clips, those things are worth their weight in gold!)and put the food and hay very close to, but not in the box.

good luck with your new babies, little ones are so special(but cherish the time with the tiny ones while you have it, they grow so fast!)!

Anna

I also use yesterday's new and have a lionhead (aren't they darling?). But back to the litter, def. yesterday's news. And as for boxes, I used to use the corner one, but Nelson ended up kicking out a lot of litter because the walls aren't very high, and he couldn't lay in it since it was small compared to him, so I just use a small cat litter pan. (I think they come in like three seizes.) He also only has one, he'll run from where ever he is in the room to go back to it, so I don't see the point in having any more.

Have you considered adopting? If you want two, there's probably a few bonded pairs for adoption in your area. They'd already be fixed and bonded, so most of the work would be done for you! Good luck with your new buns! And you never know, you might get surprised. I was looking for a french or holland lop when I got Nelson. Keep your mind open, you never know whose cute little face will beg you to bring it home.

Wood pellet litter! Bestest ever and you'll save money to boot. Store brands are stuff like Feline Pine. But you can often find it and farm stores like TSC or feed stores for about $5 for a 40 lb. bag. Even if it's made from pine, it's safe if the bag says it's been kiln dried.

If you don't want to make your own wire racks, you can buy litterboxes with wire grids from KW Cages. Conveniently enough they're also high-backed so rabbits can't pee over the sides. Some really like to do that. *Glares at Loki*

I also suggest wood pellets as litter.

Yesterdays News would cost me $18 for the 30lbs bag of the cat litter Yesterday's News (same as the small animal stuff). I have also found odd objects, sharp metal peices and plastics, inside of a YN bag.....which is highly suspicious.

I get a 40lbs bag of wood pellets for only $4 :biggrin2:. One bag lasts me about 2 months with 3 bunnies!

Latest posts

Back