What litter (Canada)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have a hardware store near by? You can use wood stove pellets, they are the same as the horse stall bedding. Rona, Home Depot and Canadian Tire tend to carry them. They are more seasonal, so tend to be on the colder months and stores are getting them in around now. I saw them at Rona a few weeks ago for about $6 for a 40 pound bag. You could buy a bag now and see if you like it, then buy more later. They usually stop selling it around march, so get it before then. With one rabbit, 1-2 bags should last a year.

But to answer your question, that litter looks perfectly safe. You may be able to find the same sort of thing marketed as cat litter for a little cheaper. Yesterday's News. Just make sure it's non-clumping.

I use wood stove pellets that I get at Can tire or home depot. Around 6$ for 40lbs which lasts me months. They also have wood pellets as cat litter at petsmart, a cheaper solution then other pet store litters. Plus I find with wood pellets you use way less so it last longer.

Sorry but I read that pine and cedar shavings are bad so pine pellets would be too, no?

-GottaLuvDaBuns

If you can get your hands on the horse stall pellets, I find they're a little better quality (more absorbant) than the wood stove pellets. But either are far superior to any paper litter I've tried (and I've tried a few). Especially for the price. I pay $8 for 40Lb stall pellets. And as little as $4 for 40Lb wood stove pellets (they're often clearing out the leftovers in May/June at Cdn Tire, etc.).

Hope that helps!

Rue

I am very new to rabbits (just got two little 8 week old babies on Saturday) and I am interested in this wood pellet suggestion.

I have looked on line and it seems Rona has the best price I just want to make sure this type is safe for my little lovely balls of cuteness and love.

http://www.rona.ca/en/wood-pellets-79645000--1

Latest posts

Back