What kind of rabbit is this & can we get another to be her friend ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's tons of tips in the Bunny 101 bonding thread:

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12072&forum_id=17

This is one of my favorite sites. It helped me a lot.
http://www.mybunnies.com/bonding.htm

Probably the most important thing is to have both buns spayed/neutered and healed from their surgeries before you try to bond them. Their hormones can make them a lot more territorial. It is possible to bond same-sex pairs without neutering them but it can be more difficult.

Also, like MBB said, baby bunnies change when they hit puberty. Baby rabbits are extremely easy to bond but it's not unusual for those bonds to shatter when hormones increase. Recently two pairs of girl rabbits on this forum had to be separated because they grew up a little bit and started fighting. There was very a unfortunate case last fall where two previously friendly young rabbits started fighting out of blue. No warnings at all. The owner did everything she could but one of the rabbits went into shock and died. This is why I will never recommend that baby rabbits should be bonded.

If you want a friend for your girl, call up a rabbit rescue. They will be more than happy to help you find a friend for your rabbit. Many will help bond them, too. Some will even take care of your rabbits for a few weeks and do all the bonding for you! This is definately something worth looking into.

naturestee wrote:
Also, like MBB said, baby bunnies change when they hit puberty. Baby rabbits are extremely easy to bond but it's not unusual for those bonds to shatter when hormones increase. Recently two pairs of girl rabbits on this forum had to be separated because they grew up a little bit and started fighting. There was very a unfortunate case last fall where two previously friendly young rabbits started fighting out of blue. No warnings at all. The owner did everything she could but one of the rabbits went into shock and died. This is why I will never recommend that baby rabbits should be bonded.
I had a similar experience, except luckily I was home from school when Mocha and Spice started to fight. They escaped with a few scratches and less hair but I had not caught them when it started, I know it would have been bad.

That is the reason I waited until Zoey was 11 months old before bonding her to Mocha. There was little chance of Zoey hitting the teen stage after that and causing fighting. I will never bond any rabbit under 11 months again for the reason and I advise everyone else the same.

Thanks all.....

I told my son NO 2nd bun. Hate not to give this bun a friend , but , if their that darn hard to bond, then this one can just enjoy life alone.

Jennie

Back