What kind of home??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyLuv123

Reaction score
In some magazines, like USA RABBITS, I see rabbits on carpet and running around houses and rooms, because of my Father I cannot let her run around. But I try and give her enough room, but she keeps getting bigger and bigger, should we get a cage bigger, or should we just leave her? We bought the biggest rabbit cage in the area, should we build a fence and then put it in the room for her? I need help!!

From,

~Bedazaled~ Sam

Rabbits need run around time just like a cat or a dog. You wouldn't leave a puppy in a crate all day, would you? Maybe you should try to explain to your father that letting it run around is just part of having a rabbit. As long as it's litter trained there's no danger of it ruining the floors and if the area is bunny proofed, it can't get into trouble. A bigger cage is a good idea (especially a NIC one. most of them from pet stores are inadeuqate.) but it can only do so much. Your bun needs to run about and play for a few HOURS a day. If your dad didn't want that to happen then he probably shouldn't have agreed to the rabbit.

I have a 2 grid by 3 grid cage with a dog pen attached to the front of it, and i think that is fine for the two rabbits i have. I do occasionally let them run the living room but that is of course after the dogs go up to bed with the kids and the hubby. You can build a cage that would cost less then the biggest petstore cage out there. The supplies can be purchased at Target and the coroplast you can get at a sign shop in Quakertown or you can check somewhere closer to you for it. The coro that i got at the sign shop by me was less then 10.00 for a 8x4 sheet, great deal i thnk.

You could also have a cage that your bun would sleep in at night and get a dog pen, or nic cubes to make a pen with, and place the cag inside so that the rabbit can be secure at night but then jump out and have running room. It is very important for rabbits to get up and move around and be able to stand on thier back legs and strecth and do a binky.

I think you should probably get her a bigger cage. The NIC cage ideas are great ! I just buildt one for Teddy and I put an extra large baby gate around it. Here a picture of what I did. Maybe that can give you an idea and help you out. Maybe if your bunny cant run around in the house. What about getting a gate or some kind of fencing that you can have him run around in the backyard.

Picture008.jpg

If your rabbit is being kept outside I don't think NIC would work. If it is inside than yes. The fun thing about NIC is you can make the cage suit the area you have.

Back