What Kind of Flooring Do You Use in Cages? (Poll)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My buns have a 5' x 8' open pen with acommercial grade carpet in it. The carpet is pretty cheap -about $20 at Walmart. I replace it about every 6months.

I voted for wireand "other", since they also have grass mats and foot pads in theircage, and are rarely directly on the wire. It is a health/sanitationissue; they have had other cage set-ups, and wire is what works bestfor us.

When they're not in the cage, they're on carpet and/or tile.

~Emily and the Fuzzbutts~

I voted other because Mocha and Loki share a dogcrate with a plastic floor and Fey and Sprite's split NIC condo has alinoleum floor with a wood floor second story. The onlylitter is in their litter boxes.

I've got Wildfire in a NIC condo with acoroplast bottom. I line it with towells and wovenmats. I keep lookingfor grass mats, but I can'tseem to find any.

Nutmeg is in a plastic bottomed commercial cage, and he gets his litterbox, and newspaper. Although he is technically my bunny, helives with my mom in her preschool, as he loves the attention from thekids.

--Dawn

m.e. wrote:
I voted for wire and "other",since they also have grass mats and foot pads in their cage, and arerarely directly on the wire. It is a health/sanitation issue; they havehad other cage set-ups, and wire is what works best for us.

When they're not in the cage, they're on carpet and/or tile.

m.e., where do you find your grass mats? I would love to have carpetfor my guys in their cage, but they love to dig and nibble it, and I'mworried they would ingest it. A grass mat sounds like a very goodalternative.

Thanks!

Kelton

I've been able tofind them at Pier One (they're in the placemats section*), but I knowpeople have also found them at Home Depot, and there are several onlinerabbit suppliers that sell them. Grass mats/maize mats are basicallythe same thing: 100% safe to chew, and a very comfy place to sleep:D

*I used to be able to find maize mats that were much larger, in thecarpet section, but my local Pier One doesn't seem to sell them anymore:(

My 9 buns live in a 15 footx 5 foot two storybunny house. My husband built it. The floor is partsmall wire, part wood, and then we put straw down and they move itaround to where they want it. Their litter box is on theupper level at one end (we originally had it elsewhere, but they havetheir own ideas on how they want their house set up!). Inever thought about grass mats, I'll have to get some to givethem something else to chew on.

Sharon in CA

Bunman wrote:
Have a link for some online dealers?

Bunny BunchBoutique - scroll down for "Straw Mats" (small $3/large $4)

RabbitCentral.com - woven grass mats ($5)

Rabbit Shop, also sells grass mats for slightly cheaper (scroll down)

The Busy Bunny is agreat site, they sell a lot of great rabbit toys, treats, andaccessories. The offer theBigStraw Mat (12"x19", $4) and theRegularStraw Mat (11"x12", $2.75)

Thissite also sells "rabbit pads", which are kinda of like mats forrabbits. They are not chewable, however.

And this site sells the foot pads that I use on the wire floors.

Hope that helps!

my 2 boys each have their own large dog cratesince it's been pretty much impossible to bond them. (charlie hates allother animals, including the cats)

they have plastic bottoms and since charlie ate his bed, he has a toweland i let him scrunch it up to his heart's content.. but william isreally good about not chewing and has had his comfy bed for about ayear and he loves it!

I got those thick foam exersize mats from Sam'sClub. They are for kids play mats, I think - bright colors and they fittogether like a jigsaw puzzle. They are 3'x3' and come 6 or 8 to apackage - about $17.
They are GREAT - easy to clean/vacuum and are washable. They don't absorb water.
They are easily cut with a box cutter to fit any area.
When I first put them in, I was putting towels on top. The buns werecasting aside the towels, though, to lay directly on the mats! So theymust be comfortable.

sfritzp wrote:
I got those thick foam exersize mats from Sam's Club.
What a neat idea. I might have to try it.

Right now, I have a counter top that fits inPebbles plastic bottom cage. Shestill slides when she grooms herself. Inthe summer time, I use the ceramic tiles to keepher cool, but those are slippery too.

k2e81d.jpg

Rainbows! :)

I voted for wire + other because my buns are in wire-bottom cages
with towels to sit/lay on.

Latest posts

Back