What kind of craisins

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Shaina, Before I knew better I gave my first bunny just the original flavor craisins. i think by Ocean Spray. Later I learned there not good for rabbits. too sugary. I won't give fruits either. too sugary. Alot of people will still give their rabbits these things in small amounts.

no raisins... There was a bunny on here who died from too many raisins. The girl was training her bunny and used to many raisins and passed away.

That was because she accidentally gave her bun too many at a time and the bunner went into stasis I believe. I think a couple a day should be ok but wouldn't make too much a habit so that the bun expects it.

I give what my local store sells. They call it craisins but pretty sure ocean spray branded that. Otherwise they are just dried cranberries. I tend to like my local store's because they are exactly like craisins. I have seen dried cran at costco and have eaten them -- I find them MUCH more sugary which is ok for people (to a point) but not ok for buns.

Eeek, Ive never head of bunners dieing from raisens before!
I thought they where a little better than craisens because they usually dont have added sugar, but I guess I was wrong.

Smudge doesnt get more than about 3 craisens or raisens a day (usually less)... That wont hurt him, will it?

Shainabee wrote:
Just wondering the best kind of craisins to feed to bunnies?
As a trademark attorney I have to put my two cents in... "Craisin" is actually an Ocean Spray registered trademark. The generic term is "dried cranberries" - if you ask for Craisins in the store, you (should) get the Ocean Spray branded cranberries.

The generic bulk dried cranberries are anywhere from 1/2 to 1/3 the price, so that's what I get for Scone. If you can get the unsweetened sort, that's even better - less sugar for the bunny. I also get unsweetened dried banana chips in the bulk food section of the supermarket, and Scone loves them.

The concern with any sugary treat, be it dried cranberries or raisins or carrots or banana or whatever, is that if you overload the bunny with sugar the sugar-eating bacteria in his digestive system overwhelms the bacteria the rabbit needs to digest the nutritious food, which can cause major problems.

Back