What kind of bunny is my bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperRabbit

Reaction score
This is Hareold! He is two and a half months old. He is completely white with blue eyes. I have never seen his parents, but his brothers and sisters were either black and white or brown and white or completely white with ruby eyes. I don't know how much he weighs, but he's very small!
Most of his photos turn out to be white blurs because he always likes to dart around everywhere!
I'm guessing he may be a Netherlands Dwarf, but I really don't know.
IMG_20110818_200135.jpg

IMG_20110808_203021.jpg

IMG_20110801_203355.jpg

IMG_20110818_200207.jpg

He can have colored littermates. The gene that causes BEW, when there in a single dose instead of the double dose results in dutch-like patterning (sometimes as little as a little as a white snip on the nose) with otherwise normal colors. And somewhere else I saw that REW overrides BEW, so a REW littermate is still possible, too.

Congrats on your new baby! (I agree it's a nethie).

hillrise wrote:
He can have colored littermates. The gene that causes BEW, when there in a single dose instead of the double dose results in dutch-like patterning (sometimes as little as a little as a white snip on the nose) with otherwise normal colors. And somewhere else I saw that REW overrides BEW, so a REW littermate is still possible, too.

Congrats on your new baby! (I agree it's a nethie).
So for example, if you bred a blue buck to a BEW doe, you could get BEWs and Vienna Marked blue babies in the same litter? Huh. Well, proves me wrong. I thought you had to have BEW x BEW to get BEW.

HappyFarmBunnies wrote:
I thought you had to have BEW x BEW to get BEW.[/quote]

Nope, just have to have two Vienna-marked or a Vienna-marked and a BEW. Crossing a BEW and blue may or may not get you blue vienna marks...it would depend on what else the BEW has (just like crossing a REW and something else).

The Vienna gene that causes BEW rabbits is recessive. In order for a rabbit to be BEW, both parents must have the gene and pass it along, so the rabbit would get 2 copies of the gene. Rabbits who are Vienna marked or are carriers only have 1 copy of it.
2 BEW rabbits bred together will only produce BEWs. 1 BEW and 1 Vienna marked will produce 50% BEW and 50% Vienna carrier or marked. 2 Vienna marked or carries will produce 25% BEW, 50% Vienna carried or marked and 25% that don't have the gene.

Other colours in a litter would depend on the parents. They would still have to follow other colour genetics though. I am not sure, but I think that since the vienna gene is recessive, that a BEW rabbit can't hide other colours. REW is dominant, so it can cover other recessive colours.

BEW hides everything but REW (and maybe Californian, but I haven't seen any information on how that color works with BEW). REW is also recessive (to all the shading/chinchilla genes). If the rabbit were't white (didn't get the BEW/REW) it could be anything.

They "hide" colors because it turns all of their fur white, no matter what it might have been had they not gotten the BEW/REW gene.

The hiding that you're thinking of it called carrying, where a dominant gene expresses itself, but the gene for another color might be hidden recessively (like self blacks from chestnut parents...or even REWs from colored parents).

When you breed rabbits of recessive colors, you only ever get that recessive color, but you can also get that recessive color from parents of different colors if those parents carry the gene.

...hope that's not too confusing...

Hi your rabbit is so gorgeous and very fluffy the younger years with your rabbit are very important and fun so enjoy it while you can. He could be a netherland dwarf but his ears seem bigger than the typical netherland dwarf it he is a netherland dwarf he won't grow much more than what size he is now. He is so cute! :)

Latest posts

Back