What kind of brands of pellets do breeders feed their buns? and why?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We were discussing good and bad pellets on the Rabbits only and someone wondered what breeders feed their rabbits I thought i would find out by asking..THanks :D

I feed Purina show-blue bag. I have good results with this feed.

It is very consistent in quality and my rabbit's fur primes quickly and

holds prime for a long time. They also fill out without becoming overly

fat. Most get a 1/4 cup in the morning and evening with timothy hay

in the evening.

Roger L

Me and a few other Flemish Giant breeders in our Flemish Giant club work through a company that makes up pellets with our own "recipie" its a high protein pellet but it has better digestible protein sources. It costs a fortune but we always get it fresh because we send in an order and they make it that day and ship it out, and it actually works. Recipie is a secret :cooking:

I feed Blue Seal's Bunny 16. I used to feed Nutrena "Naturewise" but my dealer closed up shop. No one else around here sells that. But Blue Seal is working out just fine. I like the condition it keeps on my animals and I find that they won't eat "Show Deluxe" or anything else by Blue Seal so I am glad they will eat the "Bunny 16".

Sharon

I've heard of a great deal of people that tell me the farm and fleet brand works fine for their rabbits, But I also have a great deal of people tell me their rabbits won't gain weight on it, and people have gotten bad batches that have killed significant portion of their herd. You may want to pay close attention to the feed while you look for another brand. I think because the feed is shipped and then sits in the store or in inventory it tends to be old or worse it gets wet and ten moldy. Whereas if you bought it from a grain elevator it doesn't sit around very long and they can even order it for you so you get it fresh.

Gretchen eats 1/4 of a cup of Purina Gormet. She used to get Purina in the green bag and then my hubbie brought home Gormet by accident. I said, "she doesn't need that!" and then I noticed that it has dried papaya in it! I thought that was nice and she loves it. Since I don't give her that much I decided to stick with it.

I swear I can hear her grunt like a pig when she eats it.

I use a brand that is made here in Texas and I add in calf mana, barley and a couple of other things.

I will not use a nationally known brand because I lost rabbits on it due to a bad batch (I lost over 30 babies on one week along with a buck and doe) and I've known several other breeders who have lost rabbits on it too when they got a bad batch....both locally and in different areas of the country. (The problems seem to be in certain regions though - I don't know of problems nationwide...but here in Texas...there have been major problems).

Anyway - to get back on top - I make my own mix of the Texas brand (called Wendland's) and other things.

Peg

Latest posts

Back