What kind of bedding?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CountryGirl

Reaction score
What are some different kinds of bedding I canuse in the bottom of my bunnies cage? I was using newspaper and I didso with my other rabbits. But Windell tears it up and pushes it all toone corner like theres no tomorrow. So obviouslt he doesn't like it.What can I use? Also what canI use for his litter pan?

Thanks

Aly & Windell :bunnydance:

Many rabs prefer the bare cage floor, even if it's wire.

There are a number of safe & inexpensive litters for rabbits,such as Woody Pet, which i use. Prices & selectionmay be better at farm & agricultural stores than pet shops..Thebest buys are those made from recycled newspaper & woodproducts.

I use Yesterday's News for the litterbox, which I have found works the best.

For his cage I put down newspaper and cover it withCarefresh. This works good since Cocoa will hop around andthe Carefresh gets pushed off to the side, but there is still somethingon the bottom of the cage. (in case he "forgets" to use hislitterbox!)

If they love so much that you have to haveit. I think in the beginning, I just got what you give guineapigs and/or hamsters/gerbils. No pine/cedar though.You could shred newspaper, cheap! :)

I use aspen shavings. It is supposed to be freeof the odor that pine/cedar release, and it is the most economical. Ican buy enough for 6 cage changes for $8 :)

Also, and this is just my personal feeling... I'm less worried about mybuns eating wood shavings than anything else. I don't trust paperbedding... it's unnatural enough that a curious bunny might munch onsome of it.

it sounds to me like Windell is playing with the newspaper - digging and shredding it.
My bun likes to do that, but when i use it in her litterbox (flatsheets of newspaper under her litter + some shredded newspaper on topof Yesterday's News), she leaves it alone. But that's her - everyrabbit is different. Mine sees a difference between newspaper forshredding and litterbox liners. (I did have to tell her "no" more thana few times when she tried to pull out the flat sheets, though. ;))

CountryGirl wrote:
What are somedifferent kinds of bedding I can use in the bottom of my bunnies cage?I was using newspaper and I did so with my other rabbits. But Windelltears it up and pushes it all to one corner like theres no tomorrow. Soobviouslt he doesn't like it. What can I use? Also what canIuse for his litter pan?

Thanks

I agree...sounds like he's having fun.Sometimes a bunny's behaviour might seem like they don't like it orthey aren't interested, or are frustrated, when they're actually havingfun and playing. It's taken me a while to understand thethings my Maisie does (she's rather pushy), but I've finally figuredout that she just LOVES for me to put just a stack of newspaper in hercage, and let her decorate as she chooses. Every coupleweeks, I sweep out her current shreddies, and she starts all over againwith a new stack...she LOVES it! :)

Another thing, you can put pegboard as a bottom to your cage, if youjust have the cage bottom right now. It's cheap, you can findit at places like Home Depot (and other hardware home improvementplaces), and they'll usually cut it right there in the store for youfor free!

As far as litter, if you can find a tack and feed place near you andask them for "wood pellet horse stall bedding", that would be the best(and cheapest) litter you can find.
Here's a picture of what mine looks like (it's about half the bag I get for approx. $6):
40e0hh5.jpg

Enjoy!

Rosie*

P.S. That picture is litter in a Home Depot bucket, I think 5 gallon.

You can find a good list of good brands of pellet litter here:
ec wrote:
it sounds to me like Windell is playing with the newspaper - digging and shredding it.
My bun likes to do that, but when i use it in her litterbox (flatsheets of newspaper under her litter + some shredded newspaper on topof Yesterday's News), she leaves it alone. But that's her - everyrabbit is different. Mine sees a difference between newspaper forshredding and litterbox liners. (I did have to tell her "no" more thana few times when she tried to pull out the flat sheets, though. ;))

CountryGirl wrote:
What are somedifferent kinds of bedding I can use in the bottom of my bunnies cage?I was using newspaper and I did so with my other rabbits. But Windelltears it up and pushes it all to one corner like theres no tomorrow. Soobviouslt he doesn't like it. What can I use? Also what canIuse for his litter pan?

Thanks

Latest posts

Back