What kind is my rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He is smaller than usual rabbits, he is not that long and his ears are small. He is full grown, he is about 1.5 years.

Those ears are to large to be a dwarf. Gotta be a mix.

Ideally the "show" type dwarfs inherit a normaland a dwarfing gene. A dwarf that inherits 2 normal geneswill have unusually large ears for a dwarf, will often lack the classicrounded dwarf head and will be larger than average.Outcrosses can also produce these "mulie" dwarfs.

Pam

Also is the floor in the rabbit's cage supposed to be a wire or is it better if the floor is covered with wood shewings?

pamnock wrote:
Adwarf that inherits 2 normal genes will have unusually large ears for adwarf, will often lack the classic rounded dwarf head and will belarger than average. Outcrosses can also produce these"mulie" dwarfs.
Hm. I did not know that. But I don't know much about that kind of stuff. ;)

Dwarf rabbits are those that carry the "dwarfinggene". The Netherland Dwarf,Dwarf Hotot and Holland Lops are examples of these diminutiverabbits although any other breed that has been crossed with theNetherland Dwarf may also carry the dwarfing gene. Rabbitsthat carry the dwarfing gene will generally have a rounded head with avery short muzzle, short ears, and a compact body.

In the homozygous state, the dwarfing gene is fatal. Thedesired "show type" genotype is a heterozygous nomal and dwarfing gene,where the homozygous normal produces a larger "non-dwarf" typerabbit. Because of the desired heterozygous genetics, dwarfbreeds do not breed true and there will be some degree of inconsistencyin type. Line breeding will help to lower the overall sizeincluding those of "normal" type.

Pam

I definitely have to do some reading. So would it be a bad idea to breed him?(just out of curiosity)

not bad, you'd just end up with not-show-standard babies. Which is fine, as long as you have homes for them all.

He's a cutie!

Rose

The bigger non-show type bucks are usually notused in a breeding program. Most breeders prefer to go withthe small Dwarf type bucks and cross them with Dwarf type or the largernormal gene does. Since we are not even certain what he is orwhat is in his background, breeding without a particular goal orpurpose is really not recommended.

Pam

just curious, I am probably not going to breed any rabbits, since I am not very familiar with them.

Latest posts

Back