What is your rabbit's personality?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scarlett_Deschanel

Reaction score
Hi everyone! My name is Scarlett. This is my first post on this forum, but I am so excited to meet and get insight from all of my fellow rabbit-lovers.
My father has recently given me permission to get a Netherland Dwarf and I am thrilled! But I want to know what to expect from my rabbit before I run out and adopt one. What breed is your rabbit, how old is he/her, and what is its personality like? I would love to hear all about your bunny/bunnies and even see a picture or two. Thank you so much for checking out my post. Have a wonderful evening.
Scarlett

Hi, Scarlett! I'm new to bunnies myself, but we have two. Our little gray girl, Snookums (I refuse to call her that, I call her Snooki) is a very active, curious, and fearless bun. I have no idea what breed she is, as I adopted her from my vet tech school, and they got her from someone on Craigslist. Our other bun, Cynnamon, is a brown and white girl who appears to be a Rhinelander or some mix thereof. Another one I'm not sure of. She came from a family whose children breed them, and the kids didn't seem sure of breed themselves. She's not as active as Snooki. She is very new to the house, only been here a week, so she may still be settling in. She seems to be a lot more cautious, whereas Snooki is in constant motion!

I have three- Butterscotch, Ellie and Pippi. Pippi is my black and white Holland Lop, and she is a feisty little ball of sass. One minute, she's chinning me, the next, she's biting me. I never know what to expect from her, and she's the tiny one! Lol. Ellie is grayish-brown, and looks like a huge wild rabbit with big chinchilla ears. ^_^ Before she was spayed, Ellie was a bit of a difficult rabbit to deal with.. she'd growl, lunge, and box at my hands constantly. I have a couple nasty scars from her.. but since she's been spayed, she is an absolute sweetheart! She has chronic ear wax buildups, so I have to clean her ears every night, and last night, she returned the favor by grooming me back. :) it's amazing what a transformation the spay surgery can make, plus it keeps the girls healthy for much longer too!

Butterscotch is my brown and white blob of cuddly fluff! I absolutely love him! He was always super sweet before being neutered, and he's still the sweetest. He'll cuddle, and purr his teeth, and lick my hands, and we even took a nap together the other day. So rabbits can be totally different! But I love them all. I spend time with each of them, because I know that they don't bite out of meanness, it's because something's bugging them. It's just up to me to figure out what it is.

Hi Scarlett. I have one bunny. Her name is Harvey and she is an 8 month old Flemish giant. She is a cuddle bug, but her mood does change. I've learned to take advantage when she is having a super snugly mood. She has this mood once or twice a week for a day or two, where all she wants to do is sleep in my arms and snuggle. Other days she will snuggle for a few minutes but is more interested in playing. And she really likes to groom us. Lots of bunny kisses! Sometimes she seems to lick nonstop. Her favorite interactive toy right now is a towel. She likes to chase it and have it put over her so she has to find a way out. Then she binkys and comes back for more. But she also likes her alone time, and I respect that and leave her be.
Congrads on getting the ok to get a bun, Scarlett. I know you will have so much fun with your bun.

Hi and YAY for getting a rabbit!!
I have three. Benny, I got from the humane society[his backstory: born and on a farm, a woman adopted him, had him for a week, and was going to turn him out into the wild before the humane society stepped in]. He's a year old as of today, and he's a....I have no idea what kind. He's tan and looks like any kind of wild rabbit, just tan. I doubt he was handled much because he's so....i don't know what to call him. He won't let me cut his nails or brush him or even look in his ears[all of which i'm trying to get done I WILL win this battle!]. He does bite a LOT. I have him in a walk-in closet turned into a rabbit room[he's spoiled, I know.] and when I go take a nap in his room, he'll climb over me and stick his nose in my ear for a good half hour before letting me sleep, but then I'll wake up to find him curled against my stomach. Its like he wants attention, as long as I don't know I've giving him attention lol. He is also the only one of my three who is litter box trained and water bottle trained. He will let me hold him if I'm sitting down, but he tends to bite me so I usually need a towel for him to bite instead of me.
Onto Rabbit numbers 2 and 3, Honey and Thumper. They are both 4 months old, Honey is a lionhed, Thumper is a French lop. They were owned by a woman who bought them from a breeder for her son who showed no interest in them. I found them on the local Buy/Sell/Trade Facebook page.
I got Thumper a week before Honey. Thumper is the sweetest little boy imaginable. He lets me check his ears, cut his nails and everything. He'll sit on my lap for hours at a time, perfectly content. Only issue: He chews on my shirt and has chewed holes in my shirt. He also tends to jump out of my arms when I am holding him.
Honey is smaller than Thumper, and more moody. I seriously think she's bipolar. She can also be the sweetest little thing ever. She'll sit on my lap, also for hours at a time, and crawl all over me. Then, other times when I reach into her cage to get her, she freaks out on me. When this happens, I have to distract her by sticking one of her chewy sticks through the bars on the other side of the cage so she attacks that and doesn't notice me filling her food or water. She also likes peeing on me. I also suspect she may be pregnant, which may explain her mood swings. She also insists on standing, pooping and peeing in her water dish.
Of my three rabbits, Thumper is the only one who likes my cats. He'll sit in a chair with one of them and snuggle right up to him. Benny tolerates the cats and Honey grunts at them. None of my rabbits particularly like the others, Honey and Benny tend to bully poor Thumper.

I fail.

All three of my rabbits have access to the full run of my bedroom and hall for a few hours each day[not at the same time]. I've noticed Honey and Thumper will both kind of just slowly hop around sniffing everything and eventually find somewhere to lay[usually on my bed]. Benny, on the other hand, likes going place I can't get to him, like under the bed. And when its time for him to go back to his pen, he likes staying under the bed. Takes me a good ten minutes to get him out.
As for housing, like I said, Benny has my walk-in closet. Thumper and Honey both have their own giant dog crates, the ones with the floor and door and that stuff. Honey's is a bit smaller, she's less than half Thumper's size. She LOVES burrowing and pulling the blankets over herself so that only her head is poking out. Thumper doesn't really like blankets and prefers to lay on the hard plastic, or if he had his way, he'd lay straight on the metal bars under the plastic tray thingy. He does like to chew on blankets. As far as toys go, Benny prefers cardboard. He's got 10 of those colored stick things. In 3 months, he's only ever chewed on one. And not even all the way. He does like picking the sticks up and throwing them at the walls at 3AM, though. Honey ended up stealing one of Benny's pieces of wood, a rectangular block she likes, but her favorite toy is her blankie and her water. This rabbit loves playing in water. Thumper ended up stealing a ball that Benny had stolen from my cat. Its hard plastic with a rattle inside and he loves throwing it around.

Hey Scarlett 😁 woohoo for being able to get a bunny! I've got 3 bunnies! Sugarlump, Mopsie and Kevin. They are all boys. Sugarlump is just over a year old, Mopsie and Kevin's ages are unknown because they were stray rescues. Sugarlump is a naughty bunny who can't keep still and will always try and get extra treats. Mopsie is quite shy and I think he's been without family for a long time before us so he just tends to cuddle up to me and stay there for hours or snuggle with Sugarlump. Mopsie also loves having his hair brushed. Kevin's our newest bun who is also a rescue of sorts, hes very cheeky - he recently chewed a few holes in my mums cushions and when she realised he hopped in her lap for a cuddle. Kevin loves being stroked and likes to lie on my bed haha. They all have their quirks but they make me very happy. 😍

I hope you get your bunny soon 😀

Also I hope you don't mind I included some pictures of mine! Sugarlump is the brown one, Mopsie is the grey bun and Kevin is the black and white one! 😁 x

View attachment 1445460667556.jpg

View attachment 1445460690369.jpg

Wow, thank you all so much for responding. I'm even more excited to get my rabbit now.
StormyB, your rabbits sound like a hoot! You nap in your rabbit room ?! I never thought about that, but it seems like a great way to bond with your pet. And good luck getting Benny to let you groom him! Bunnies can be stubborn :whatever:.Thumper sounds like a real sweetheart. I'm sorry your orher two rabbits pick on him so much:bigtears:. Honey sounds like a babe! I swear my brother's pet cockatiel is bipolar as well. Of course, that doesn't keep us from loving him.
Whiterabbitrage,
I've heard so many great things about Flemish giants! I'd just be scared to take on a bunny that large.
Akzholident,
All three of you rabbits sound adorable! I'm glad that some of Ellie's problems were fixed after she was spayed. I guess you never know what your rabbit is really like until then. I wish I could have Butterscotch.....he sounds so sweet. P.S. I love all your rabbit's names!
Sibelabmom
Looks like you got really lucky with both of your rabbits. Hopefully Cinnamon will start warming up to things soon.

Chloe with a lot of numbers....your rabbits are so cute!! They barely even look real. Sugarlump sounds like a very curious bunny. To me, mischief is a good thing, but I understand how it could get a wee bit annoying, but its good to have a pet to keep you on your toes. My mother used to call me "sugarlump" when I was younger, so I'm really fond of name. Mopsie sounds like a sweet bun, too. I guess some rabbits are just more introverted, just like people. Kevin sounds like he has a very multifaceted personality.

Yep rabbits very much so have their own personalities, likes and dislikes. We are still figuring Kevin out at the moment as he hasn't been with us long. Are you just getting the one bunny for now? 😊 x

Hi Scarlett. I have one bun, Jez. He's a 6 1/2 year old mini rexx chinchilla. Although I've had him since he was 8 weeks old, he's still a bit distant. Does not like to be picked up. Will not snuggle on the couch with me, though he will come visit to get his nightly craisin and banana chip. He's 90% litter trained. By that I mean half the poops are right outside the box. But it's all on a rubber mat so it's not a big problem. The good news is, he never bites and never chews cords. So you pick your battles and be happy with him as he is. I guess I'd have to say his personality is cautiously pleasant. :)

Lol.. Pippi loves to chew the cords! Make sure those are well out of bunny's reach, just in case! She's just trying to tidy the place up (rabbits see cords as roots in their burrow that must be removed!), but I have now purchased two additional cords for my tablet because she loves to chew them. Lol. She was being a cuddle bun last night... We were watching Jurassic World, and she was really into it! I've not seen her be that interested in tv before. :) I think she was getting inspiration from the raptors though, because later, she started acting like Veloci-bun - digging at me and biting my shirt.. Lol.. so watch out for dinosaur movies. Apparently, rabbits like to pretend they're dinosaurs. ;-)

Latest posts

Back