What is YOUR Feeding Schedule?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Feeding in the evening when the rabbit is most active is generally recommended.  We previously fed 2 feedings per day (AM & PM), but have gone to once a day PM feedings for the past few years.   No changes in general condition have been noted and the rabbits have adjusted well to that schedule.

Small rabbits are fed approx. 1 oz. per pound of body weight. The larger rabbits get approx. 6-8oz.     Does and litters are on full feed.  Feed is varied by individual metabolism and their condition. 

Pam

In the morning, the buns get their pellets, rolled oats, hay, and fresh water.

They get treats in the evening such as:
romaine twice a week,
parsley once a week
timothy cubes twice a week
and dried papaya once a week

They also get their hay racks refilled if needed and water bottles are checked.

I follow Pam's guidlines on the amount of pellets I give
"Small rabbits are fed approx. 1 oz. per pound of body weight.  The larger rabbits get approx. 6-8oz.     Does and litters are on full feed.  Feed is varied by individual metabolism and their condition. "

~Jim

I feed the bunnies twice a day because I feed the cats twice a day, and the rabbits were getting really ticked when I would call the cats to breakfast and they didn't get any food :rollseyes:

1/3 cup in the morning and 1/3 cup in the evening for two very mellow 5 pound rabbits. Unlimited hay 24/7.

I should also add the following details (we currently have about 100 rabbits):

Straw is given to doe and litters as well as some individuals.

Rolled oats, dandelion leaves and black sunflower seeds are given toolder or "picky" rabbits. Carrots are also occasionally given.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
(we currently have about 100 rabbits)
Rolled oats, dandelion leaves and black sunflower seeds are given to older or "picky" rabbits.

I can see oats and sunflower seeds are easily obtained and stored,   but where would you get your dandelions?

I feed Pebbles  her  pellets, oats, sunflower seeds, Papaya tablets, a  few alfalfa pellets in a  small bowl  ( less than a 1/4 cup)  every night.   But she gets hay, vegetables,  fruits,  and treats throughout the  day.

Rainbows!  :)

We pick the dandelion greens fromaround our house -- some grocers also carry them.

Pam

Feeding time is about 7:30 in the morning and about 7:00 p.m. In the morning the rabbits are fed pellets and hay if they are out, some of the rabbits get a conditioning mix, some get oatmeal, and one or two get yogurt drops, and we do pass out parsley and carrot tops as it grows. We also fill up water dishes

In the evening everyone gets pellets and water dishes are changed and refilled with water. We have about 20 holes but usually only 10-15 rabbits.

forgot to add how much is fed

Mini Lops: 1/2 - 3/4 a cup of pellets

Flemish Giants: 2 - 2 1/2 cups

Thrianta: 1/2 cup

English Lops: 1 1/2 - 2 cups

Nursing moms and juniors/intermediates: free feed

Hay and water is unlimited, treats are exactly that, treats.

8:30 am - Morning check - I check Nest boxes, Water bottle levels (& refill if needed), and do a once over on everybody (make sure no eye problems, no poop problems, or other problems).

1:00 pm - Afternoon check - Make sure everyone's still kosher& no young babies popped out of their nestbox by mistake.  Other Rabbitry chores are done at this time also (Nest boxes installed / pulled, Litters weaned, Litters sexed, breedings, weight updates, or any other task).

6:30/7:00pm - Evening Check & Feed - Morning check tasks repeated.  Water bottles checked for leaks / proper flow& all are topped off.  Everyone is fed (1/2 cup per rabbit... including Mom's w/litters - 1/2 cup for her & 1/2 cup per kit).  Rabbits who need a little *extra* to re-cooperate from weaning a litter / Rabbits who are out of condition will get 1 tablespoon of conditioning mix in a small snap-on crock separate from their feed after everyone is fed & watered. Conditioning mix consists of equal parts Whole Rolled Oats, Black Oil Sunflower Seeds, Barley, Show Bloom, and a small amount of Calf Mana.

Cage trays are dumped & cleanned every Wednesday afternoon for Trash pick up Thursdays.

My feeding/care schedule changes with the time (so feeding is always 1 to 1 1/2 hrs before sundown).

~Sunshine<

Here's mine:

At 9:00 a.m. I fill all of their crocks with fresh water and put in their frozen water bottes to lay by in the heat. I also do litter check.<

At 7:30 p.m. I feed my breeding Dutch bucks 3 ounces (2 oz. rabbit food, 1 oz. sweet food [show conditioner]) and my does without litters 3 oz. and my does with 4 wk. litters 24 oz. I also put more water in the crocks (Snickers is a little water hog!! lol) Right now I have 17rabbits.

Latest posts

Back