What is up???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbitgirl

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed a surge in metabolism?Maybe it's just increased activity with running in the snow....butsheeesh! The appetites!! Their usual food amounts aren't maintainingweight.

I notice some really odd patterns certain times of the year, and just wanted to compare to see if others have seen the same.

Rose

I can tell you that I've certainly noticed asurge in metabolism in myself. My husband noted the same thispast week -- he mentioned that he's been ravenous!

Pam

pamnock wrote:
Ican tell you that I've certainly noticed a surge in metabolism inmyself. My husband noted the same this past week -- hementioned that he's been ravenous!

Pam
Preggers?

Bo B Bunny wrote:
pamnock wrote:
I can tell youthat I've certainly noticed a surge in metabolism in myself.My husband noted the same this past week -- he mentioned that he's beenravenous!

Pam
Preggers?

My husband or myself??? LOL

My last pregnancy was pure horror. I was sick the entire time and am getting too old for such nonsense :?

And . . . I am absolutely positive that the answer is negative ;)

Signed . . .

The totally NOT-pregnant Pam

pamnock wrote:
I can tell you that I've certainly noticed a surge in metabolismin myself. My husband noted the same this past week -- hementioned that he's been ravenous!

Pam

How bizarre...the same thing happened to me the last couple of weeks.Ravenous describes it perfectly. I thought it was because we started upsoccer again, but maybe I was wrong. It's gone away now.

Rose,

I don't know where you live, but if you've had a surge of bitter cold temperatures, it could be a factor.

The weather has dropped and is near 0 or below every night and has beenfor the past 2 weeks. My rabbits are flying through their food and seemto have been during the past week and 1/2.

Certainly running and playing in the snow burns a lot of energy andcalories, as does just being cold. It would seem that those things cankeep them maintaining rather than gaining, in addition to an increasein appetite.

:)

-Carolyn

man do i feel better knowing i'm not alone inthis i was almost to afraid to say anything i was afraid that iwas overfeeding myself and the buns:?:?:shock:

I noticed it too. All my buns seemed alot hungierthan normal. Well, two that is, the other 3 are on free feed. So Iincreased their food up to 1/2c. a day, and it seems to be keeping themboth happy and healthy.

~Nichole

pamnock wrote:
Bo B Bunny wrote:
pamnock wrote:
I can tell youthat I've certainly noticed a surge in metabolism in myself.My husband noted the same this past week -- he mentioned that he's beenravenous!

Pam
Preggers?

My husband or myself??? LOL

My last pregnancy was pure horror. I was sick the entire time and am getting too old for such nonsense :?

And . . . I am absolutely positive that the answer is negative ;)

Signed . . .

The totally NOT-pregnant Pam
You! lol. You said you noticed a surge in your metabolism. :)

Yet, mine seemed to be eating less than I wouldprefer during the recent cold snap. Now, that I've broughtthem inside, they seem to be eating more. Confusing?

Earlier during the year someone posted that they believed their rabbitsate less during the winter and others took her to task forthat. It piqued my interest enough to try and pay closerattention to the amount the buns were eating and it seemed like hercontention was proving out with my five outside buns.

Most of you are now controverting that theory. Interestingdevelopment. I haven't been watching their foodscientifically, but then I suspect, neither have you.

Please let me know if you notice any changes either way.

Buck

Buck Jones wrote:
Yet, mine seemed to be eating less than I would preferduring the recent cold snap. Now, that I've brought theminside, they seem to be eating more. Confusing?

Earlier during the year someone posted that they believed their rabbitsate less during the winter and others took her to task forthat. It piqued my interest enough to try and pay closerattention to the amount the buns were eating and it seemed like hercontention was proving out with my five outside buns.

Most of you are now controverting that theory. Interestingdevelopment. I haven't been watching their foodscientifically, but then I suspect, neither have you.

Please let me know if you notice any changes either way.

Buck

Let us know what you find from your observations. Rabbits invery cold outside weather may eat less due to a decrease in waterconsumption due to freezing. They may also be less active asthey snuggle up in their well insulated boxes and burn up less energy,and will also be breathing slower and releasing lessmoisture. A bunn hopping around inside will lose moremoisture due to respiration (from being more active and for cooling) --so they will need to drink more to replace the lost fluids and may alsobe eating more due to the extra calorie burn from the additionalactivity.

Pam

Since you brought them inside...... are they doing a lot of the eating while watching soap operas? ;)

pamnock wrote:
A bun... inside will lose more moisture due to respiration(from being more active and for cooling) -- so they will need to drinkmore to replace the lost fluids and may also be eating more due to theextra calorie burn from the additional activity.

Pam
You seem to be on the money once again, as water consumption does seemto have increased for most of them since coming inside. Theyare confined to cages so there is not a lot of hopping around, butbasement temperature is approximately 60 degrees F, which must seemtropical to them after the zero to teens temps they wereexperiencing. In spite of the lack of activity, appetiteshave increased.

Buck

Both. LOLOL

Well, the consensus seems to be that weather certainly has an effect, but it can work both ways depending on region and animals!

There is a week in late summer when they all refuse to eat and getreally really skinny. It was scary the first time! Especially Iz, sheloses the most weight.

In winter I've noticed larger appetites on my outside buns, especiallythe ones that are more warmblooded. Pandemonium and Iz, for example,never seem to feel the cold.

Very interesting!! Thanks for the feedback!

Rose

My buns are also going through their pellets like there is no tomorrow :shock:

Gir is always hungry, but Guin usually just munches at the pellets.

They let me know when they are hungry... usually by tearing around thecage or the room making as much racket as they possibly can

Chernish is hungrier too, last night he ate hisnight food so fast, by 1 in the morning, my husband found him sittingnext to his food dish looking all sad.

Back