What is up with Fuzzy?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valaria243

Reaction score
Someone suggested I should make a new thread so here goes.

The first time this happened was Dec 20. She was out of her cage roaming and was fine. When I saw her later she was dragging her back legs. I called my vet the next morning and we took her in. They were examining her in between appoinments and when they checked her she seemed OK but had some weakness in the rear right leg. They gave us some Metacam to give her as Xrays showed some spinal arthritis (she is 9 years old) and they said they could see nothing else obvious wrong with her (no fractures etc). She spent the night at the vets and when I picked her up the next day she was a little weak with the right leg but was almost back to normal. She improved over the next couple of days and was back to normal hopping all around. Then on the evening of Jan 7, I saw her under the table again dragging the back legs. I gave it a couple of days to see if she would bounce back like before but she didn't. We took her to the vets and they were stumped. They offered to do blood work but due to her age and the randomness of the symptoms we declined (the vet agreed). We are basically just doing supportive care for her. They did give her some antibiotics for her right ear and a higher dose of Metacam. She does do periodic circles in her cage and I take her out to lay with me for a few hours in the evening so I can gently rub her legs. She wasn't really eating too well the first couple of days without me holding her for a while but she has started eating on her own.
The vet did say we should think about putting her down. However, she is with it mentally and tries to get around so I'm still a bit hesitant.

I should add that I tried to help her (by supporting) to hop a bit and she went fairly straight. I think her circling is more about weak leg issue. I have not seen any head tilt in her and it seems the thing that is tilting is her legs. I did ask the vet at the visit about head tilt because I had read a lot about it but she said that was not Fuzzy's problem.

Any one have any ideas? Should I just build a cart for my bunny?

One picture is of Fuzzy wrapped up and laying with me. The other is Fuzzy about 2 years ago (the bald spot on her nose she's had since a baby). Hopefully they come through!

fuzzy.jpg

Fuzzy2.jpg

The circling and hind leg paralysis are symptoms of e. cuniculi. If it is EC, you need to get her back into the vet right away and treat with antiparasitic meds for about a month. The standard one used is panacur(fenbendazole). It is possible to save your rabbit and stop the progression of the disease, but sometimes some of the neurological damaqe can't be undone. That doesn't mean your rabbit can't have a good quality of life though. But you need to get her on the meds right away. My sisters rabbit got this years ago, and she got her rabbit treatment, and now her rabbit is 9 years old and has lived a happy life, but he does have to be retreated every now and then. Here are some articles I've read on treatments people have tried, but it is something you will want to discuss with your vet.

http://chiefio.wordpress.com/2011/06/16/encephalitozoon-cuniculi-rabbits-cure/
http://www.barbibrownsbunnies.com/ecuniculi.htm

I posted this on the other thread as well. Just cause a rabbit isn't showing signs of head tilt, doesn't mean that they don't have EC. The head tilt is just one symptom a rabbit can exhibit with EC, hind leg paralysis and circling are other symptoms. I don't know how your vet could know for sure if it is or isn't EC, without doing the appropriate testing, unless they did that. But you don't want it to go too long without treatment if it is EC, cause any additional damage done can end up being nonreversible. The little improvement that you say may have been due to the metacam reducing inflammation. If the choice is putting her down, then it certainly couldn't hurt to try and treat for EC.

If it doesn't wind up being EC, and it isn't trauma related, another case of hind limb paralysis that I heard of, was caused by some poisonous mushrooms that the rabbits ate while hopping around the yard outside. I don't know if that is a possibility for your situation.

Also, with giving antibiotics, probiotics also need to be given if you already aren't doing so, as the antibiotics kill off the gut bacteria and can make a rabbit sick and not want to eat.

I have seen cases of a rabbit with hind limb paralysis, using a cart, but I don't know much about it myself. Fuzzy looks like a sweetheart. I hope she is able to feel better soon.

I agree with JBun that it sounds like EC as both the hind leg paralysis and ear infection are associated with that disease. Since she has been x-rayed you can rule out that cause of paralysis which I have heard of happening. The bunny in question got a cart to use from Doggon' Wheels I think? A cart can be a good solution but you may want to try treating for EC as it is a progressive neurological disease that does not stop with hind leg paralysis.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/Neurology_main.htm

Thanks for the replies! I am taking Fuzzy back in this afternoon armed with print outs of the links you both suggested. I will let you know what happens.

I took Fuzzy in and her vet was very receptive to the print outs I brought. She admitted she hadn't even thought of that and gave us a 2 week supply of the medication to try. She said if Fuzzy improves then in 2 weeks come back and she'll give us a refill and it wouldn't hurt her to take it.

I'm glad your vet was open to this new info. I really hope this turns out to be helpful to Fuzzy, and that you see improvement with this new treatment. Even after 2 weeks it's possible that you may not see much improvement, but it's really important to continue the meds for the whole month. EC tends to be a really difficult disease to treat. and really needs the full month long treatment to affect the protozoa causing the disease. Is the vet also having you continue with the metacam?

JBun, yes I am continuing with the Metacam.

Do you know of anything I could mix the fenbendazole with so it's not quite so disgusting for Fuzzy? She was quite mad after getting her first dose and made quite a few circles in her cage!

You could try mixing it in with a little mushed up banana. That should mask the flavor a bit. Plain canned pumkin would work too.

I think the metacam will help in case there is any inflammation.

What is the fenbendazole flavored with? Hopefully it's not a dog or cat formulation that's flavored like liver or fish or something. Pumpkin puree would be good, so would baby food like squash, carrot, banana, etc. Almost every bunny likes banana, so mushed up that might do well too.

I'm not sure if it is flavored or not. The vet had it on hand and while she does treat buns it is mainly a cat/dog practice. I know it is white and chalky looking and she even said we might want to flavor it with something sweet.

After reading through this thread, I agree with all JBun said about EC, and immediately thought of some of the same things when reading her symptoms etc. I'm so glad to hear about this vet's willingness to try treating for EC and listening to what you (the owner) felt it could likely be. You may want to try mixing with mashed up banana (odn't give a TON though obviously, it could cause an upset tummy) My also like things mixed with plain applesauce.

Thanks to all who replied! Fuzzy is doing better. I have seen a bit of movement in the one back leg that hasn't been moving. Her general attitude is improving and she has been grooming herself again! She also has been fighting taking both of her meds, got mad, and even grunted at my husband last night! She is definitely more active but not quite back to hopping just yet (I realize she might not regain all her mobility).
I've tried giving her applesauce but that was a no go, so banana is next.

That is so wonderful to hear! I'm sure you're glad to be seeing even a little improvement. And she certainly doesn't sound like she is lacking in spunk :)

Just so you're aware, I've heard that part way through treatment for EC, there may be a setback in improvement, but then the rabbit will continue to get better afterwards. I just didn't want you to feel discouraged if this happens with your bun.

Last edited:
That is so wonderful to hear! I'm sure you're glad to be seeing even a little improvement. And she certainly doesn't sound like she is lacking in spunk :)

Just so you're aware, I've heard that part way through treatment for EC, there may be a setback in improvement, but then the rabbit will continue to get better afterwards. I just didn't want you to feel discouraged if this happens with your bun.

I am hoping that today is just the setback that you mentioned. She was not looking so great this morning. She did drink some water but was laying on the side she's been avoiding for the last week and a half. She did spend a few hours with me last night on the couch (on her blanket, wrapped in a towel) and she wasn't quite so perky (as previous nights) but she was eating her hay and drinking.

I am cautiously hopeful.
Fuzzy ate some pellets last night for the first time in a week! She is still weak and shaky (which is to be expected). She grunts and turns her head when we give her the panacur (also expected) but that's a good sign to me. She is still interested in apple slices, lettuce, and hay which for a bunny who a week ago wouldn't eat on her own is great. When I hold her on my lap she grooms herself too.

Latest posts

Back