what is this sound?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoodieRat

Reaction score
ok ive had my bunnies since monday and they aresettling in great!when they are out playing they will sometimes makethis sound that sorta sounds like humming/growl? what does this mean?

Putting aside the sound, I think it's to soon tofor you to already be playign with them.They should not really beoutside until they've settled in for about 2 weeks.Maybe they're soundof discomfort or nervousness, or maybe their shy?

well I have had my bunnie for 3 weeks and thefirst day I got her she wanted to run around and play in the livingroom...and I was told that this was fine as long as they are under mysupervision.
ramona is a house bunnie and I think If the bunnie is willing and comfortable why not?

they are indoor rabbits, i have no cats or dogs,they are the largest animal i have. i have bunny proofed the rooms theyare allowed in and i watch them while they are out. i do not force themto be around me or anything. i just let them explore going in and outof their cage as they please

Bunnies can honk, wimper scream and hiss

The honk sounds like a goose and it is most often heard by aroused uneuterd male bunnies

The wimper is like a puppy but more difficult to hear, it can be from fear or over excitement

The scream is like a human scream and it is a sign of absolute fear and terror. A bunny should never have a reason to scream

The hiss/growl is kind of like a cat, but faster and shorter. Thismeans they are mad, annoyed, fighting, attacking, or ready to attack.Its the bunny agression noise.

The odd bunny will hiss when they are playing, i.e attacking stuffed annimals and vaccum cleaners lol.

:)

Pebbles makes a soft chirp or squeeking soundwhen she plays with us or when we give hertreats. In her excitement, thatis how she communicates to us.

Rainbows! :)

have you ever heard an alpaca make their hummingnoise? that is what it reminds me of. but its a short sound. they seemto make it when they are hopping around. like earlier my bf and i weresitting on the floor and Briar was hopping back and forth and around usmaking this noise.

I never heard an alpaca hummingnoise. But the squeek is like the carshocks moving up and down. She never madea sound when we first got her, but now it's quitenoticeable. Especially, when she'srunning to us or begging for food. :p

Rainbows! :)

I dont know that Ive ever heard the hummingnoise, unless your bunny has a funny sounding honk lol. Could it beteeth grinding? Mind you most rabbits only grind the teeth "quicklyenough to make a hum" when they are being pet, but hey maybe?Neatthough!

My Friends Rabbit was recently attacked by anErmine in her house and she heard her Dutch bunny Pippi Screaming andshe ran up stairs and the bunny was on her side with the ermine perchedwith his two front paws on her. She just said "WHAT ARE YOU DOING" andthe ermine ran out of the cage.

she just put 1cmX1cm square chicken wire to keep the thing out of thecage. but she said it was the scariest thing shes ever heard. she KNEWwhat the sound was immediately too... i would hate to hear that fromone of my buns.. >_< but her bun is fine.. thank god.Jenna ( my friend) just held her bunny for like an hour and she justwould not move other than to nuzzle into her arm... poor bun...

Pygmy Fan wrote:
Putting aside the sound, I think it's to soon to for you toalready be playign with them.They should not really be outside untilthey've settled in for about 2 weeks.Maybe they're sound of discomfortor nervousness, or maybe their shy?

Buns are fine as long as you dont force em to do anything.. i think ihad my bunny out and about after about a day or two of settling. but ireally left him alone when he wasnt out just so he could get used tothings. but if theyre out and exploring, i dont see anything wrong ^_^.

But for more skittish buns its still recomended to let em settle for a bit first.

"The scream is like a human scream and it is a sign of absolute fear and terror. A bunny should never have a reason to scream"

My thoughts exactly!! I was just watching Houston Animal Cops on AnimalPlanet. They went to this house were alot of rabbits had beenabandoned. They were chasing tons of rabbits around the back yard.Those poor bunnies were terrified! It was difficult to watch. And oneof them even SCREAMED! Their intentions were good but what the hell, ifa rabbit gets too scared it can die from shock, I would think peopleworking for the SPCA would be a little more responsible but obviouslynot. They were acting like it was a game, laughing and carrying on. Ugh!

Oh no, my Riku never ever made a sound. The only sound coming out from her is the chewing noise she made. :?

Hiya HoodieRat!

What kind of bunnies are they!

Certain breeds seem to have more of a tendency to "Hum" or "Buzz" audibly when they are very happy or excited.

S'more "squeaks" when she gets excited and starts breathing hard.

Chippy use to make "growling" sounds, like she couldn't get her little engine started, but they were angry noises.

Most of our bunnies "Tooth Purr" when they are extremely happy, likewhen they get nose rubs. It's not too loud and you have to listenpretty close to hear it, though.

All of them "grunt" or "oink" when they are upset.

Back