What IS this? (RIP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Indeed. The site DID reference dark brownish scabs.

I guess I will soon be off to the vet. Just want to be sure we have all our stuff in order. . . what with possible high costs.

I would guess syphillis is cheap to treat as it is treated by injectible penicillin.

Yes, I was told that by the vet. I hope that is the case! Better than an operation.

But IF that is the case I might end up back at ACC, which does not make me joyous after my last experience. It is still MUCH cheaper than a private vet neuter.

More as I know it. . .

I am still surprised no one here, with all the rabbit experts, could positively ID this thing. I guess my own uncertainty was not so bad nor ignorant! :biggrin2:

>> Many dermatologic conditions <<

If that is what it is surely that is better than a tumor, right? It is oddly thick though. It is not painful to the touch.

Well, we shall see. Poppy is acting normally, otherwise.

Thanks for your input.

Poppy is under the knife at this moment. The vet said it was a tumor, although an unusual one.

Scrotal ablation and a neuter coming.

Despite what others said, the paws look fine.

The very tiny bumps might just be common to this rabbit and mean nothing. There is a chance it could be pasteurella in a very early stage. Nothing to do now but watch.

I call them in a little over two hours, and then will pick up the rabbit.

The entire cost with meds is $358. :( I got some help from someone (another rescuer) spreading out the cost, the vet gave a bit of a discount, and also let some of it be paid next month.

It's a nice place. Quiet, with almost no one around except two cats. I marched over there through thunder and rain.

Worried. :pray:

Oh boy. I'm glad they're taking that off. You can also get Care Credit to help pay for it--it's like a credit card for vet care. Sounds like a good vet. Do they think it's a cancerous tumor or related to an infection? Rabbits are quite prone to abscesses forming around infections, and the abscesses are sometimes surgically removed, but a systemic antibiotic treatment (Bicillin is frequently used) is also very important in that case. Sorry we didn't think it was a tumor--most tumors in rabbits stay covered in fur and don't get necrotic tissue on them like that.

Good luck, Poppy and Zouave!

I planned to ask her details about the tumor. As I said above, even she was not sure from the photo.

Way too late to apply for carecredit, which I heard of several days ago elsewhere.

>> most tumors in rabbits stay covered in fur and don't get necrotic tissue on them like that. <<

Yea. *shrugs*

I call in 90 minutes.

Yes, it was nice. Very quiet - no one else there but the techies and cats. It is right under the Brooklyn Bridge in a gentrified section of that borough that used to be run down industrial. http://vhvetgroup.com/

Pasteurella I was told is treated by antibiotic injections and/or abcess draining surgery. Hopefully never to be necessary.

She was adamant about keeping rabbits and GPs separate as
pasteurella MIGHT transfer from the bunny to the piggie causing rapid death of the latter.

I am just killing time here. It is a long haul back to the vet - subway trip and a good walk, and the weather stinks, cold, and damp, and nasty.

I hate operations. And I don't mean the cost.

I hope they can get the whole thing in the neuter surgery. i would guess that they will look at the cells to determine if it is cancerous. . The tumors that I have seen that have been malignant ( on a rabbit and a dog ) did not look anything like this tumor but had very irregular borders

i wish you the best ...

let us know

She did not mention cancer, which if she thought it might be, would have been odd.

Even a techy there said "it looks like poop stuck on!" And she checked! Nope.

I call in just over an hour. Back when I can. Send good vibes.

Thanks.

I am just killing time.

I hate operations. All this waiting.

The one time I had a foot operation I was conscious, but the foot was out. I smelled the blood and heard the podiatrist using what sounded like carpentry tools. Then he told me dirty jokes as his assistants closed up. It was sort of like a "pump bump" growth on the heel. took many months to be 100% but I had no choice - it hurt a lot before operation day.

My parents' operations were no fun either.

Just killing time.

I will have to give antibiotics and pain killers. And I hate using a syringe in the mouth on small animals (drowning concerns). Hey! Is that an issue with rabbits as it is with rodents (GPs to gerbils)?

I had to have a Plantars wart taken out of the sole of my foot a long time go. I think that I got it from walking barefoot in a health club.
Anyway the thing was really deep and I was conscious through out the whole procedure. it was really gross . I had to pack this hole in my foot with sterile gauze everyday for probably a month.
i always thought it was a bigger deal than the podiatrist explained to me.

When syringing fluid to a rabbit insert the syringe from the side behind the front teeth so that the syringe is not facing the back of the throat. I always just give a small amount at once and watch their throat to see that they are swallowing

Zouave wrote:
I will have to give antibiotics and pain killers. And I hate using a syringe in the mouth on small animals (drowning concerns). Hey! Is that an issue with rabbits as it is with rodents (GPs to gerbils)?

You are giving a relatively small amount of medicine to an animal much larger than a tiny rodent, so you shouldn't have any problems.

Also, there are certain substances (such as oils) that are far more dangerous to aspirate than others.

Pam

shandrel wrote:
*keeps fingers crossed*
Good luck!
( yes i joined here since we will most likely be getting the rescue bunny!)

Hello shandrel! She came over here from my board as only rabbitsonline members can read this thread. Mine: http://kanez.proboards.com.

Anyway, we are back. Yes, "we". I am stressed out and tired, and a lot shorter in the wallet.

I told you about the paw and the tiny lumps.

The "growth" was a melanoma malignant tumor. She decided it was cancerous owing to how it spread. The operation was a success and the rabbit is fine. . . except that the metastasis was hard to get at. She grabbed all she could see but it could be microscopic. Based on her experience, the vet said there is a "70%" chance of the cancer returning, and that would be to the abdomen. How fast it might grow was uncertain. But at that point there would be no treatment. 30% on the good side? If I hit .300 in the Major leagues I'd be a star! So, we hope.

Poppy is on the meds; I was show how to give them. The techy advised removing the metal water spout and using a heavy ceramic bowl. Vanilla Ensure and soft fruits and such were recommended.

What he looks like now:

2234027700102813037S425x425Q85.jpg

So, I guess things could have gone worse. Poppy is back in his cage relaxing and recovering, and I will soon check the meds schedule.

Whew! I can see how it would be a melanoma. That means that it was a tumor of the skin itself, and that's probably why it was brown like that--not due to necrosis. I'll be thinking of you guys!

Latest posts

Back