What is this lil' fella?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashleighh

Reaction score
7938d41_20.jpeg

Hello everyone! Tomorrow I'm hopefully going to be able to adopt this beautiful little fella! His owners posted a very brief 'about him' on the adoption page so this is all I had to work off

6 months old male bunny for sale to good home.

I then emailed them asking for some infromation and got this response

Hi, thanks for your interest, he likes people giving him scratches, very active

I've pretty much fallen inlove with him just from looking at this picture. I'm currently unaware of his temper and such so I'm hoping all goes well when I head up there tomorrow to see him and if everything goes smoothly he'll be mine!

I'm really clueless as too what breed he is though? His colouring reminds me of my old himalayan cat, though.

Anyone who canhelp I would be forever greatful!

How much does he weigh? That would be a big clue. Given he's in Australia, I'm sure there's more breeds he could be than I know...but I might guess a Cinnamon- or American Sable-cross... That color's not found in a lot of rabbit breeds and usually gets bred out in feral rabbits.

One cool fact about that color, though: it's temperature sensitive. During the summer, the dark areas will get smaller, possibly a little stripey/patched, and expand during colder months (to about where they are now). Although, if you keep him inside in a constant temperature, it will probably stay more consistent.

He definitely looks like a good healthy bunny!

OMG! That's why Cindi's ears are looking lighter and kinds stripy! Thanks hillrise for the info :)

This is my Cindi, I thought she was some kind of mini satin mix?

100_0070.jpg

Yeah, those colors are related to the himalayan/californian gene. This is my girl Rosie after our nasty heat spell.

15085_151605_420000000.jpg

But, yeah, both of the genes responsible act in response to the temperature, as do the genes responsible for a siamese cat's color. :D The fun part is that a lot of Californians (and some of the shadeds like your guys') will actually get eyebrows during the winter, and stripes on their hips and dewlaps.

She may or may not be a mini satin. That color is available in a lot of breeds, particularly lops. She looks too big to be a mini satin, to me, but it's hard to tell, especially with crosses.

LOL She was really fat when I got her (this is an older picture). She started off at 7 pounds! I had to shave her bottom because she couldn't keep clean. She's down to 5.5 pounds and still has a good amount to loose, but at least I don't have to shave her butt anymore. :)

It is amazing what having half of a room to romp will do for a girl's figure compared to three years in jail (rescue group cages were ok, but rather small).

Thanks so much for your help everyone!
Sadly we went to pick this little guy up today and upon arival we noticed missing chunks of fur and scabs. We rushed him to the vet but she said he had Myxomatosis and he had to be euthenized.
I'm not sure how accurate her diagnosis was but needless to say that poor rabbit looked like a zombie version of that photo :(

Oh, that's too bad. Myxomatosis is really nasty. Probably need to have every place he touched sterilized before another bunny comes in contact with it (even secondarily through human contact). I remember a few years back when it was threatening to shut down the show circuit in California.

I've cleaned everything twice! Even though he didn't come into my house I just wanted to make sure. >_< even Lola's cage got cleaned up!

By cleaned up I mean disinfected beyond belief haha. It sounded like I leave her to wallow in filth for a second! D:

Latest posts

Back