What is this behavior?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bad kelpie

Reaction score
Me and Basil are getting into our routine. Every day after work I open his x-pen and let him run. I sit on the ground and read a book or play with my phone. He comes up to me often but doesn't really like me to pet him yet. He takes raspberry leaves from me and comes to me when I call him. So I think we're doing pretty well. Today he was being extra goofy, lots of zooming. He kept running in big circles, darting in and out of a cardboard box then running up to me. The second time, he pushed his nose against my knee a couple times. Is this an affectionate thing or is he trying to get me to play with him or what? I've never had a bunny do this before.

Also, every time I try to pet him, he gets up and moves. But my roommate's boyfriend can pet him easily. He was raised by a teenage boy, is this why?

I think it can be a number of things--it could be playful, as he's playing and coming up to you and saying "Play!" Or it could be a little sign of affection and he's asking for some attention, in which case you could try to pet him and see if he accepts it. It could also be that he's just stopping to say hi! Honey will be doing his own thing and then come up to me, nudge my leg, and hop away as if it was a passing greeting. And depending on how hard the nudge is, he could be saying "Get out of my way", lol.

Nose bonks! Silversky is right about the meaning. It's a friendly gesture that can be done for a number of reasons. Sometimes it means pet me now, sometimes just hi or look at me.

It sounds like things are coming along well.

The petting thing could be gender related, or maybe you're trying too hard or something. Is the guy petting in the same spot you are? Maybe that's different.

I think I figured out the petting thing. My sister was over, talking to him through the bars of the x-pen and feeding him raspberry leaves. Then I look over and she's petting him! She was petting his side, about halfway between his shoulders and tail. I'd been trying to pet his head and shoulder area. He was clearly enjoying it, so I joined in with the other side and he was in bunny heaven :).

I love this little guy!

Congratulations on figuring out how he likes getting pet! Nose bonks are great :)

bunnyhugga.com and languageoflagamorphs are also a great resources for learning about bunny body language/behavior through articles.

One of my bunnies nudges me all the time, i think she's just saying 'HI!' to me cuz she runs off once she does it all excitedly! she's so cute :)

Cookie nose bonks us all the time! Especially when we've been away all day :) he also bonks for attention, as in he will bonk my leg and then put his head down and assume the position for a good scratch lol

And he always bonks us when are in his pen, but it is a harder bonk and definitely him saying "umm excuse me? PLEASE LEAVE!" lol

Yur doing awesome! :D

My new little man does nose bonks too! He's kind of iffy still about being petted and alternates between being fine with it/enjoying it and looking terrified. Sounds like he and Basil are on the same page :D

Agnes is definitely a nose bonker and a nudger. It's usuallynbecausenshe wants head rubs,sometimes it's just to say hi! sounds like that's what you are getting too. It's a good thing! :)

you're lucky you have nose bonks instead of nipping! My guy will nose-bonk me if I'm sitting up and he wants to play or interact, but if I'm lying with him on my bed, he has a fascination with nipping my arms and chest (for the same reasons) and it is alarming! It always makes me yelp in shock, and then he jumps, his eyes go wide, and we have a stare off before we each calm down heehee

Back