What is the minumum age at which you show your rabbit babies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joanster

Reaction score
My daughter has several young litters and was wanting to take a couple to an upcoming show. I was wondering at what age most breeders showed their babies? Her babies will be 3 1/2 months by show time, but they are small.

We generally don't show juniors until after 12 weeks of age, when they have molted out their baby coats.

Pam

Most breeds have a minumum weight for juniors. It depends on what breed you have. I generally like mine to be at least a half pound above what the minumum weight is.

Sharon

They are over the minimum weight but still smallin size. I am just afraid to put them in if there are several junior who will be turning seniors very shortly. They wouldn't stand a chance.

What is everyone's experience?

I show mini-rex and usually start showing them after 12-14 weeks old

if the show is close and small. I don't like stressing them out too much

and they won't be competetive at that age but it is nice to get comments

on them. I did get a BOB out of 75 mini-rex one time with a three month

old black doe which is rare but nice. She beat several grand champions and

ended up with 9 legs before she went into the breeding program where

her kids are following in her foot steps. Her black otter son in his last

two shows got BOB and BOS as a junior buck.

Roger L

Generally, the very small juniors don't do as well - especially if still in a baby coat. As Roger stated, showing can stress them. As he also stated, there are occasions where fantastic juniors can do very well.

Pam

I am thinking I would really like to have some comments on them as well. It is a show very close to us...

Depends on whose going to the show as far as competition. If some of the larger breeders are going I keep my three month olds at home, otherwise the class is big and the are older juniors so the judge will more than likely place them last for being underdeveloped and give the comment of "promising" LOL waste of my money to hear that they are promising as I already figured they were promising or I would of culled them. If there are fewer breeders there I will take them as the judge is more likely to actually comment on them. Otherwise I wait until they are 4 months. better chance to compete. I raise flemish Giants so its hard for a rather underdeveloped young junior to beat more massive older competition.

Julia

joanster wrote:
I am thinking I would really like to have some comments onthem as well. It is a show very close to us...

I personally would just wait for another show. It is really not worth the chance that they can get stressed or can pick up a cold at the show. I always leave the smaller ones at home.

Sharon

Bramble Briar86 wrote:
I once participated in a show where a little boy showed a two week old rabbit! Very surprising that they'd bring a doe and her litter to a show, i'd never do it. Too much stressI think.

Ellie
:shock2:2 Weeks old!?!?!

That's a MAJOR no no!:nonono:Good lord, their eyes are justopening at that age!

I sure hope the Show Superintendant stepped up and put a stop to it.

I like to wait until my Jr's have molted out their baby coat and arein their Jr. Prime coats. This (depending on the line) can be anywhere from 3 1/2 months to 5 months old.This isMini Rex.

~Sunshine

Latest posts

Back