What is the consensus on simethicone?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinupchick

Reaction score
My "rabbit savvy" vet told me that simethicone doesn't work and they don't use it in their veterinary practice anymore.

However, every time Ula stops eating or has gurgling gas noises, it's my first line of defense and it seems to always help after one or two doses. She wasn't eating yesterday morning and was hunched and grumpy. I gave her simethicone and after one dose, about an hour and a half later, she started eating (slowly) again, and today she is back to normal. Is it coincidence, or does this gas medicine really work that fast (and awesomely)? I always keep it on hand, as well as Oxbow Critical Care in case of emergencies. Is that a good plan to have?

I have heard of people using simethicone in rabbits and having good results, so yes, I think it works.

It does seem that some people use it very frequently though. While it helps, I think if you're having to use it frequently, it may be better to consider diet changes which may prevent digestive upset.

I have a small herd of show bunnies, but very rarely does one stop eating or have digestive trouble. I would say maybe one every couple years. So if it's something you're needing to use several times a year, it's not because it's not working, but rather, it may be a dietary issue and may be best to look into other things like how to modify the diet to sit better with the bunny. But for occasional use, yes, I think it's fine and works well. :)

I use it when any of my babies hastummy problems. It seems to work 99% of the time.

I have also used the Bio Best Yogurt at times when they are notfeeling well and i find that works very well too, especially with Buttercup. It was a Vet that told me to use it. I do realize many people in RO totally disagree with yogurt but it work's for my bunnies so I do use it.

Susan:)

SOOOSKA wrote:
I use it when any of my babies has tummy problems.  It seems to work 99% of the time.

I have also used the Bio Best Yogurt at times when they are not feeling well and i find that works very well too, especially with Buttercup.  It was a Vet that told me to use it.  I do realize many people in RO totally disagree with yogurt but it work's for my bunnies so I do use it.

Susan:)

Me too. :) A long time breeder shared this trick with me once, so rather than simethcone, I've always turned to yogurt when I needed something. Worked every time!

slavetoabunny wrote:
I swear by the stuff. I always have it on hand and use it immediately upon noticing one of the bunnies stops eating. I works 9 out of 10 times.
I also use it immmediately if a bun refuses food and I agree that it works 99% of the time.

I usually don't give more than 1 dose but will give a dose of benebac maybe an hour and a half after the dose of simethicone. So could be the combo .........

[align=center]Where can I get simethicone- just in case? =O Cause I've been suggested it before... XD

Latest posts

Back