What is the best diet for my overweight Netherland dwarf?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy Hollands

Reaction score
As many of you know, I mainly focus on raising rare colored Holland lops. However, I also have a Netherland dwarf doe who is near and dear to my heart. She was the first pet rabbit that is mine entirely (not a family pet, as we've had rabbits growing up our whole lives) and she will be 4 years old in May. I've had her since she was 7 weeks old. Her name is Missy. I believe she is 3/4 Netherland dwarf and 1/4 double-maned lionhead! She has the sweetest personality, and I don't think I could live without her! I'll attach a picture so you guys can understand why I'm so in love haha 💕

Anyways, I've noticed recently that she's been putting on some weight after her health scare last year with GI stasis. Last time she was at the vet, she weighed approx. 5 lb which is a bit on the heavy side for a Netherland dwarf. I feed her a strict diet of 1/4 a cup of pellets per day (well... sometimes a little bit more because she begs at night once her daily amount is gone), obviously unlimited second cut Timothy hay, and I give her 2 papaya tablets everyday because of her being prone to GI stasis as I mentioned earlier. Every other day, her treats are either dandelion greens or a pinch of my homemade blend of oats and BOSS!! I occasionally add a splash of ACV to her water to keep her as healthy as possible. She lives in a 24 ft² cage so she has plenty of room to hop around during the day. Depending on the weather, she either gets to free room in our four-car garage or gets exercise in her outdoor pen in the fresh grass!

Any suggestions of how I should alter her diet? Preferably, if you could attach a full plan including pellet amount, if she should be allowed any treats, and if I should alter her exercise schedule at all. Keep in mind, I'm scared of putting her on a super strict diet and changing too much because I do not need another health care (with all the vets having limited hours)! Thank you all - Missy and I look forward to your suggestions!

Screenshot_20200413-124514.png

As many of you know, I mainly focus on raising rare colored Holland lops. However, I also have a Netherland dwarf doe who is near and dear to my heart. She was the first pet rabbit that is mine entirely (not a family pet, as we've had rabbits growing up our whole lives) and she will be 4 years old in May. I've had her since she was 7 weeks old. Her name is Missy. I believe she is 3/4 Netherland dwarf and 1/4 double-maned lionhead! She has the sweetest personality, and I don't think I could live without her! I'll attach a picture so you guys can understand why I'm so in love haha 💕

Anyways, I've noticed recently that she's been putting on some weight after her health scare last year with GI stasis. Last time she was at the vet, she weighed approx. 5 lb which is a bit on the heavy side for a Netherland dwarf. I feed her a strict diet of 1/4 a cup of pellets per day (well... sometimes a little bit more because she begs at night once her daily amount is gone), obviously unlimited second cut Timothy hay, and I give her 2 papaya tablets everyday because of her being prone to GI stasis as I mentioned earlier. Every other day, her treats are either dandelion greens or a pinch of my homemade blend of oats and BOSS!! I occasionally add a splash of ACV to her water to keep her as healthy as possible. She lives in a 24 ft² cage so she has plenty of room to hop around during the day. Depending on the weather, she either gets to free room in our four-car garage or gets exercise in her outdoor pen in the fresh grass!

Any suggestions of how I should alter her diet? Preferably, if you could attach a full plan including pellet amount, if she should be allowed any treats, and if I should alter her exercise schedule at all. Keep in mind, I'm scared of putting her on a super strict diet and changing too much because I do not need another health care (with all the vets having limited hours)! Thank you all - Missy and I look forward to your suggestions!

View attachment 46514
Hiya , my bun ( not a Netherland dearth ) is overweight too .
She is on baby rabbit pellets ( 2 table spoons) , unlimited hay and a handful of greens (usually 1 cup )

Hiya , my bun ( not a Netherland dearth ) is overweight too .
She is on baby rabbit pellets ( 2 table spoons) , unlimited hay and a handful of greens (usually 1 cup )
I hope this diet helps your bun , but do get advice from a vet , and change diet slowly. 😁 Good luck

Here is what they should be fed by pounds of rabbit!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200413-104837.png
    Screenshot_20200413-104837.png
    245.1 KB · Views: 7
I would slowly get her on a strict diet (2 weeks transition). No treats, no extra things (oats), and no "You are so cute! Here is an extra scoop of pellets". I would give her unlimited hay, 1 cup of veggies in the morning, 1/8 cup of pellets at lunch, and 1 cup of veggies at night. That can be for the whole day.

Myself only feed my holland lop 1 tsb pellets while my netherland dwarf get a tea spoon of pellets. I corrected the diet after their droppings and how fast they eat their food. If it take more than 10 mins eating everything in the bowl I will take the bowl away from them.

So one tablespoon of pellets nearly take one hour for my netherland dwarf to eat. But he’s also a little overweight because of all the treats he get behind my back but he weights 710 grams. He have dropped 50 grams and have stopped gaining weight which I am happy. When he’s down to 600 grams I will reintroduce pellets again. My dad is still feeding him behind my back but now it’s in better portion to his size the reason why he have gone down in weight. So have better portion size for your bunny and your bunny will lose weight.

When he was over a year old with normal portioned up pellets and treats for his size, his weight was around 530 grams.

The left picture is of Odin when he was 1,5 year old and the right is of him being 2 year and 4 months old. He have gotten a stomach but something that can be hard to see is that his bum have a layer of fat. He have a really round bum, which he still have but we are working on it. When he was the heaviest he had trouble cleaning himself and would easily loose balance. He also didn’t try to jump up on things for example jumping up to the bed or couch.

Attachments

• 1DE013B3-3449-450F-B2D1-D81A5FBF2C6B.jpeg
    1DE013B3-3449-450F-B2D1-D81A5FBF2C6B.jpeg
    272.5 KB · Views: 7
Yay!! Thanks all!

An abundance of fresh greens seem to give her diarrhea so I mainly stick to limited herbs (she loves parsley) and a handful of dandelion greens. Also unlimited grass when she is outside.
So does this plan sound good (since she is currently getting 4 tablespoons of pellets per day, I'll slowly wean it down to 2 tablespoons over the span of 2 weeks):

•unlimited 2nd cut Timothy hay and water
•1 tablespoon of pellets in the a.m.
•a handful of dandelion greens or herbs for a treat
•1 tablespoon of pellets in the p.m.
•lots more free roam / exercise time!!

Lmk what I should modify. Thanks for the responses 🤗

Back