What is safe to nibble on?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaspberrySwirl

Reaction score
When Sebastian wasexploring every last inch of the place yesterday I began wondering whatI should make him leave alone. We usually just keep him out in the openlawn but now he's big enough that he can't slip through the fence so Iplan to let him wander a bit more. I have ton's ofperennials, annuals, shrubs, grasses,etc. Will it hurt him to nibble on stuffhere and there?

Carolyn put up an excellent post called 'RabbitReferences' that has many links, and two of them are exactly for yourinquiries~I would copy and paste them here for you but all thecharacters on my computer are inChinese SoI wouldnt know where to start :( I'll do the nextbest thing though and bump it up for thee!

Cher

ALRIGHTYTHEN....Looks like I may as well keep him on concrete than put him inmy yard. :?

Buck, don't you let your rabbits roamduring the day? Will they eat stuff that's not good forthem? And will they EAT it or just take a taste and knowbetter *wishful thinking* For goodness sakes these creaturesstarted out in the wild!!!!

Well, I guess he will just have to stayin his little mobile pen for his "free time" and be moved around withme as I work in my yard...dang...dang...dang...He's not going to behappy about this...

This is a good question, Raspberry.I'll be interested to see the responses. I know that thereare many things that they should not eat, but I'm thinkingtoothat they started in the wild. Shouldn't there be some typeof instinctual filter that tells them what to eat and what not to eaton the outside (notwithstanding plants and vegetation that have beensprayed with some type of chemical which of course they wouldn'tunderstand)?

Well, you would thinkso...It just seems that for the most part those kind of lists would beinformation for what not to feed a bunny. Butwho knows. Of course it would be my luck to take a chance andhave something terrible happen.

A few years ago we disrupted a nest ofyoungrabbits that for certain reasons couldn't be put backwhere they came from. We successfully bottle fed and raisedthem. As they got older we let them roam the yard everyevening and then rounded them back to their pen for safety sake atnight. Eventually we just left the pen open and they came andwent until they no longer came back. We saw all of themreturn to our yard for several seasons. Anyway, my point is,I get overwhelmed sometimes when I'm reading all this stuff about howfragile Sebastian is. Too much hair swallowed, too manyveggies, not enough hay, picking him up to quickly from above...and hecould croak.....It's INTIMIDATING!!!! I suppose like alldomestic animals, once you begin to breed for particular qualities youalso lose some of the hardiness that nature hascreated. Thanks for your opinionBuck!

Yes, all of the information can beintimidating ... :(... and to add to the mix, there areconflicting schools of thought on major issues that pertain tobunny. You just have to sort through as best you can, useyour best judgement on what applies for your particular bunny, anddiscard the rest.

I tell you, raising a bunny is so much like raising a baby! :)

Raspberry,

Our Missy ate the foam rubber pipe insulation I was covering ourelectical wiring with(cheaply, I thought), resulting in remedialsurgery and medical bills approaching $2,000.00. The surgerywas risky, with high probability she wouldn't make it. Shedid, but it was an expensive lesson to us.

I though she might chew it into pieces before getting to the electricalwire, thereby giving us an advanced warning. I never dreamedshe would eat it!

Buck

Good HeavensBuck! Wouldn't you at least think she would have chosensomething that tasted good! Foam rubber...yuck!

Okay. I will watchclosely. I've been an avid gardener for years. Isuppose I will have to re-vamp my want list now and exclude"bad-for-bunny" plants and shrubs!

Yes, we do let our rabbits free range in theyard, but there are no dangerous plants available and we do notfertilize in any manner, other than rabbit droppings.

One of the saddest things I read fairly recently was someone who losttheir rabbit to peach tree leaves, which are apparentlypoisonous. They had left their bun in the orchard before, butnot during the fall, without incident. Falling leaves provedto be their demise. I don't even think the bark is poisonous,but the foliage surewas!

Buck

Back