What is my Holland Lop trying to tell me

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vee

Reaction score
Yesterday I walked into my bun's running area. After I stood there for a few minutes, he ran up to me and began to circle my feet and rub against my ankles very gently. What is he trying to tell me? I've never seen this behavior in any of my buns before.

If he's not neutered, circling is usually them showing excited hormonal(sexual) interest. The rubbing if with the chin, is him scent marking you. If it's him nudging you with his nose, that's either a greeting or him trying to get your attention(pet me, feed me, what are you doing, move out of my way, etc). If the rubbing isn't with his chin or nose but his whole body, he may be trying to 'mate' with your foot(male rabbits are non discriminatory, they'll try and mate with anything :p ).

If he's neutered, circling is just him excited to see you, and the rubbing is either scent marking with the chin, or nose nudging to greet or get your attention.

Theo runs around my feet when I get up in the morning or whenever I feed him. I've accidentally stepped on him multiple times because he will run under my feet. I've had to start telling people to drag their feet when they walk into my room so they don't hurt him 😂
I agree with everyone else, if your bunny is neutered then he really loves you!

Yesterday I walked into my bun's running area. After I stood there for a few minutes, he ran up to me and began to circle my feet and rub against my ankles very gently. What is he trying to tell me? I've never seen this behavior in any of my buns before.

My bunny, Baba, is not neutered. It may be a little of both causes because that same day he pooped and peed on the bed for the first time. I have several rabbits and they come on the bed at different times to run around. I cover the bed with different cloths, but the odors may get through, so it may suggest that he is marking his territory. He was rubbing his side against my ankles when he was circlling. He is also a benign cuddle bunny who loves nothing more than to be hugged and petted for as long as I am able to do this. What is your final opinion on this and how can I stop him from pooping and peeing on the bed in the future. This last question is most important as I hate to ban him from the bed. He is a very spoiled bun.

Here's another researchable website with tons of info wrt guardianship of a rabbit, bunny behavior, potty training, etc.

https://myhouserabbit.com/
- Allowing too much space to free roam if your fur-baby is not sp/eutered yet can make litter-pan training a tad more challenging.

- Marking territory in a multi-bun home (if rabbits are not bonded) will also occur.

That said, we have different areas of our home that unbonded buns have playtime and exercise. A community litter pan is appropriately placed and they know where to hop to defecate/or urinate.

As JBun said, a neutered bun will run up to you and circle or hum. Our 10 y.o. n/male boy loved his rescue dad and did this continually. Our spayed female harlequin does this, makes little humming sounds, and presents her head for petting.

Latest posts

Back