what is good nesting material..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bat42072

Reaction score
foster got out when I had Taffy loose... now she is goings around the house taking things and building a nest..... (I have homes for the babies already)...what is good for her to use in her nest... she is steeling my dirty clothes out of my basket...

Munchkin wrote:
They usually build the nest out of their own hair and hay in my experience. :)
thank you for the info... she is building it out of what ever she can get a hold of and she is building it behind my toilet... strange bunny

Behind the toilet is probably nice and dark and safe feeling to her. I can remember Wildfire building a nest in a cardboard play box in my closet while out for play time last year.

I would leave some extra litter boxes stuffed with hay for her to use. And she would pack the hay in her mouth and build a nest where she felt safe.

You can provide a box for her to build the nest in, if she builds it else where keep putting the nest in the box. They normally get the hint after a bit.

I had to remove the towell/blanket I had in Wildfire's cage because she kept dragging it in her litter box and building a nest with it. You may want to restrict her access to your clothes to prevent her from ruining them.

Provide her with lots of straw/hay to build a nest and a couple of boxes to build them in. Having her build it in a box means that you can easily pull the whole nest out to check on the babies and make sure none have escaped and are getting cold.

--Dawn

Hygiene isn't a bunnies strong point!! Hopefully you'll be able to move her nest elsewhere before too long.

:D

bat42072 wrote:
Munchkin wrote:
They usually build the nest out of their own hair and hay in my experience. :)
thank you for the info... she is building it out of what ever she can get a hold of and she is building it behind my toilet... strange bunny

I heard that you can use a covered litter box for them to build a nest in so my sister went to go buy one for me to put in her cage... maybe she will feel better with that...

I typically use a wooden nest box (there are alot of kinds though). I put some small wood shavings in the bottom of the box (about 1 or 2 inches). Then I put some hay over top of that (not too much, just a bit). I kind of make a dent in the back/center area of the box to make it like a little nest. The box is then put in the doe's cage and I give her a large handful of hay. She will happily make her nest with all the hay that she wants and arrange it how she wants to. She will eventually pull fur, but alot of the time, the does don't do that until they are almost ready to have babies or have had babies. Here's a picture of the kind of box I use:

moz-screenshot.jpg
nestbox4.jpg

Qadoshyah

Latest posts

Back