What in the world is this?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ravishing

Reaction score
Hello everyone =)

Meet Penelopy

IMG_0160.jpg

I purchased her about 3 days ago from an owner who was to busy to give her the attention she needed. To my knowledge she was not ill at all but I know bunnies hide it well.

An hour after letting her out of the cage to explore I noticed the following:

e.jpg

What is this? I am very concerned.

Here is some background information:
(From Dec 26-Dec 29)

- I've have had some trouble transitioning her to a new feed

(I'm aware you should do this in steps ex: 90-10 ... 80-20 ... 70-30 and so on until they like the new feed but the old owner only gave me enough pellets for a few days and not enough to transition her comfortably)

- When I went to match the original pelltets @ the pet store the gentleman told me it wasn't enough nutrition for her... and recomended "Hartz Bonanza Pet Rabbit Diet Complete Nutrition"

- When she didn't eat very much of it I purchased another feed called "Kaytee gourmet recipe"... she wasn't to fond of this one either

- At the time I thought she was 4-5 months old and I gave her 3 mini carrots b/c I was worried she'd have nothing in her belly and she'd pass =( (I know this is a snack but I didn't know what else to do)

- Throughout this whole escapade she was eating timothy hay but I noticed she was eating a bit less

Present Information

- She is now eating the "Hartz Bonanza Pet Rabbit Diet Complete Nutrition" but always leaves behind one type of pellet. Essentially she eats 90% of what is in her bowl. She also eats the "Kaytee gourmet recipe" and again she leaves behind certain pellets.

* I placed two bowls in her cage of each to see which one she'll eat more.... in total she eats no more than 1/2 a cup of feed per day

* Timothy and alfalfa hay are readily avilable to her

* I change her water two times a day

* She is not having carrots any more

Important Details

- She was eating her care fresh litter bedding the other day (I proceeded to replace it... but I'm wondering if maybe this is what she is leaving behind)

Time line of her droppings

oldpoop.jpg

- This is a combo of Dec 29/30th droppings. This is after I had fed her the carrots.. It's never looks this wet usually.
- This is not her litter box... it's a dust pan.. the fur strands were not in her poo =)

oldpoop2.jpg

- These are the specific droppings of concern (again from Dec 29th/30th afternoon)
- Light brown are from Dec 29th
- Dark "black berry" looking droppings are from Dec 30th in the afternoon

e.jpg

- This is the little surprise she left on Dec 30th in the early evening

IMG_0205.jpg

- These are her most recent droppings =)

Please let me know what you think is going on and feel free to share any solutions or tips to resolving the problem.

I agree, it looks normal to me. They usually eat the grape-looking poos, called cecals, as they are produced, but some don't, especially young ones. I would switch to a pellet that's alfalfa based but doesn't have any "froot loop"-looking bits or seeds and nuts in it. A good one is Oxbow 15/23, and if you would rather buy in bulk or cheaper, you can get some at the feed store. Purina complete (in the green bag) and Fibre3 are good. Like Pam said, the urine is normal. Rabbits deal with calcium in their bodies differently which is why they sometimes pass white crystals in the urine. That's a normal looking urine--it would be really thick, like toothpaste, if it were something to worry about.

PS she is adorable

Everything looks normal. When the urine dries, a calcium deposit is left behind. Rabbits have two kinds of solid wast--the regular hard round dry pellets, and then there are the cecals which are normally but not always eaten. Oh, and thank you for sharing all the wonderful pictures too.

Wanted to note that you posted really good pics of your issue, that helps alot when trying to determine what might be the problem and saves much time!

Great pics, glad all is well and welcome to RO!;)

Shes very cute :)
Alls normal like above have said, usually they eat them but sometimes feel they dont need the nutrition..
These are full of nutution for them..

They also stink! Today one of my rabbits left them all over my bedroom floor!!

ohh wow! I would never think their droppings would have nutrition for them. Maybe I just cleaned up her cage to soon before she decided she wanted to take a nibble? Should I save those poopies when I clean her litter? Is that necessary?

i always leave the ceacals when i'm cleaning out their litter. if max passes cecals infront of me he gets really embarassed and wont eat them untill i'm out of the room. so if i cleaned them up he would be too polite to say anything and then not get his daily dose of nutrition lol

Latest posts

Back