What Happened?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budgirl9

Reaction score
I have a Holland Lop, who was suppose to deliver this weekend, but she didn't it ends up that she must not have been pregnant. during the time i thought she was pregnant, she got a little plumped in the abdomen and she showed some signs but not a lot. but now all those signs have gone away. her original buck past away so i gave her a new buck. which i thought that they worked out, but i guess not. anybody know what happened. I was so excited about the up in coming litter. she is only a year old. is this a sign that i should retire her from breeding will she be able to have babies again. can someone give me some in site why this didn't work.

hotmaildeal wrote:
I've heard about psychological pregnancy in rabbits, maybe that's what happened? Maybe next time it will work well.

Have to agree. I've read lots about "false" pregnancies where does go through the motions but after the due date, go back to their ole self. I would wait a couple days and try again. Lots of frustrated breeders have gone through this as well. They are grateful for that 30 day gestation period. Don't have to wait too long to find out if it's a false or a true.

K:)

a friend of my want to use my rabbits in easter pictures so i will breed her after March 31st is that a good time or should i wait longer. is there and tips on breeding how long sound the buck and doe stay together to make it successful?

There are many factors involved in why a doe did or did not 'take'. It sounds like in your first post that she has had a litter before. If not, and she's 1+ years old then she could be too old at this point. If she's had a litter before then maybe they never mated. If you didn't watch then you won't know for sure. It certainly doesn't take very long to breed the doe, if the buck is interested.

She may have not "took", or may have absorbed her litter. Did you palpate her (or have an experienced breeder palpate) when you thought she was pregnant?

If not, have this done the 10 to 14 days after you breed her next. You can't exactly tell they are pregnant just by their bellies, because some does may get large, but some does may not look pregnant at all.

Don't leave the buck and doe together overnight. What I do is take the doe to the buck and let them breed 2 to 3 times and then repeat this every hour 3 hours. This increases her chances of pregnancy, but also of a larger litter which makes the babies smaller at birth.

Emily

thanks for all you help,,it would have been her fourth litter. I will try again if this litter doesn't take then it is time for me to retire her from breeding.

Wishing you luck. Have to say hats off to you not pushing this doe. Some does will have lots of litters, others only a few. Hopefully she will take this time, but if not, retiring would be the best thing for both of you. Alleviates the stress of waiting for kits. She will make someone a very sweet pet after retirement. But I would have her spayed, for health reasons. Does do have a higher chance of getting cancer. But that's just me.

Again, let us know how she does.

K:)

I have a friend who thought she had pregnant rabbit, but then they didn't have them on the due date but about 3 or 4 days later they both had their litters and were just fine.

thank you, Autumn is a great rabbit and she will stay with me she is my sweet little girl and my first girl rabbit. she can be so silly sometimes. I will be breeding her with Kahlua this time. i will keep you up to date.

Latest posts

Back